Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone.

Just as the tutor says, my Mac Mini Pro (M2) detects my TV (HDMI) even when it’s off.

It also does the same when one of my USBC monitors is off, but I usually have both on, so it doesn’t bother me as much.

Is there a fix for this?

I think I’ve read a work around involving mirroring, but I don’t want to deal with that. I just don’t want my Mac to detect a monitor/TV when that device is off.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi everyone.

Just as the tutor says, my Mac Mini Pro (M2) detects my TV (HDMI) even when it’s off.

It also does the same when one of my USBC monitors is off, but I usually have both on, so it doesn’t bother me as much.

Is there a fix for this?

I think I’ve read a work around involving mirroring, but I don’t want to deal with that. I just don’t want my Mac to detect a monitor/TV when that device is off.
Not every device "turns off" its input when it's shut off (many devices aren't actually off when you turn them off, either.) For instance, my LG display is detected when off, unless I switch the input to another source.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Try this experiment:
1. Turn off tv
2. UNPLUG the tv from the wall outlet
3. Reboot the Mini
4. Does it STILL "detect" the presence of the tv over HDMI?

If it DOES NOT, that suggests (as Edward mentioned above) that even when the tv is "off", there is still some power active within -- perhaps enough to trick the Mini into thinking the tv is still "on".

The simplest solution would be to unplug the HDMI connector from the Mini when not in use. But that puts "wear and tear" on the Mini's HDMI connector. I wouldn't want to do that all of the time.

If no other solution works, I'd like to offer this workaround.
Yes, I realize that it's "clunky":
Get a cheap HDMI "A-B" box with a switch on it (could be used to switch HDMI from one target to another).
Hook up the Mini to as the source input.
Connect the tv as one of the outputs.
Leave the other output "empty".

When you're using the tv, switch the box so that it's connected.
When you're NOT using the tv, switch the box to the "empty" output.
Thus, the Mini should "perceive" that NOTHING is connected, and no "ghost tv" (even when it's off).

I said it would be clunky, right ??
But... I'll bet that this will work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.