Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

number42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Hi guys,

Just got myself a 1.66ghz Mac mini off a friend all is working fine now my intention is to use it as a media centre as I've heard how great and quiet these minis are

Problem is when I hook it up to the widescreen tv via a dvi to hdmi cable the picture isn't fully shown on the tv, there are bits which are cut off from the sides,

Now when I've used my MacBook pro to do the same it doesn't have this problem, I wonder is this because of the age of the os?

My mini runs 10.4.11 and my MacBook runs 10.6

Will updating the os sort this out? Or do I need to do something with the minis display settings?

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
pending what resolution you are using u might have to turn off over scan i know if i use 1080p on my mini with over scan it cuts off parts of the screen but if i go to like 1360 x 768 example i have to turn over scan on to fill the screen completely

number42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I've just downloaded and tried adjusting the settings but each time I do it doesn't make any difference,

Say I change the default setting from 1280x720 to 1000x720 and click apply it doesn't even flicker the screen, tried both with and without overscan on, even restarted the mini.

Overscan looks to be the issue if only I could control it, if I deselect overscan the picture becomes smaller and I can see all the desktop but it's too small then unfortunately.

My tv is a Sony 720p,

Just don't understand why the MacBook pro displays it fine yet the mini doesn't

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.