Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stormz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I'm looking to buy a new Mac Mini. I'd like 32GB RAM, but £540 seems a ludicrous amount to pay for it, given how much it costs elsewhere. I'm reading that installing RAM in these newer Minis is fiddly. Given that I'm not the most 'handy' of people, I'd rather not risk doing it myself. So this is probably a dumb question but where do I begin looking for a person or firm to install RAM in a Mac Mini?

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
If you get an iFixit toolkit, the process of upgrading the RAM in the Mini is really easy. It was actually a lot easier than what the guides made it look like. I might have been lucky, but nothing on the Mini was gorilla tight from the factory and it disassembled with ease. I was mostly concerned about reattaching the wifi connector since it is so small - but even that popped back on first try.

I watched three youtube videos on how to do it - the iFixit one, the MacSales one and one from Apple Insider I believe. I decided I liked the MacSales video the best and watched it on a laptop as I worked on the Mini.

If you want to find someone to do it, I would look for a shop that is an authorized repair center for Apple, this way your warranty would still stay in tact. I'm not sure what shops you have by you, but I think even some online shops like B&H Photo here in the US will install RAM for a service fee.

Good Luck!

Stormz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
That's really helpful. I'll look at those YouTube vids. Thanks Mike.

mr_hyde

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2018
Italy
My only suggestion: make sure to use the right tools (I used one of the iFixit kit and everything went smooth) otherwise the procedure can become a nightmare

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
My only suggestion: make sure to use the right tools (I used one of the iFixit kit and everything went smooth) otherwise the procedure can become a nightmare
Do you happen to have a link for it? I found the kit but it includes RAM.

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
I've upgraded a couple of them now - the kit I used is this one. All it takes is a bit of care and patience - don't force anything and watch out for the cables.

I'd advise the OP to just get the more stripped down 'iFixit Essantial Electronics Toolkit'
That will be suffice to this taks and many other Mac servicing tasks (as well as iPhone and iPad).

ladodger5

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Los Angeles
I just upgraded my 2018 mac mini today from 8gb to 16gb. I bought this tool kit on Amazon and it comes with everything you need to upgrade and it was only 10 bucks.

Reactions: ccprstuff

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
London
Will do mine at weekend - new Mini and 32 GB Crucial ram both arrived yesterday. It looks easier than taking the 2012 Mini apart to install an SSD in the upper bay, which I did a few years ago.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Just get an ifixit toolkit for 20 bucks and some crucial ram for 200 bucks. I upgraded my mini to 32GB for only €220 total. It may be a little fiddly but if you follow ifixit instructions exactly it's not that hard.

mr_hyde

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2018
Italy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.