Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twomiracles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
I am the most impatient person on the planet and really don't want to have to wait to order my Mac mini from Apple. I'm looking at one of the 2 Mac Minis, but I want to upgrade to 2GB of RAM. We have a retailer here, but they charge $150 per GB of memory to upgrade. Now, Best Buy currently has PNY Optima 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SoDIMM Notebook Memory for $89.99. I think the Apple store wants 30 bucks to install it, but I'm not sure if that's per stick or total. Anyway, question 1, this memory should work, yes? Question 2, I've put RAM and Hard Drives and other stuff in a PC, am I capable of doing this? If it's a total of thirty bucks to put them both in, I'll pay it, but I don't want to pay sixty bucks if I don't have to.

Any help is appreciated! This will be my first Mac and although I'd love to go all out and buy an iMac, our budget won't allow it, so I'm trying to get what I can with the budget I have to work with!

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
It would be $30 total.

I had my RAM upgraded for $30 CAD. I'd suggest you get it done at the Apple Store or a Reseller. Then you're covered if something gets screwed up. If you open up your machine and break something, it's your fault and the repair could be very expesnive. I was going to do it myself when I upgraded my mini, but I'm glad I changed my mind because the tech crushed my optical drive without even knowing it. It go fixed the next day at no charge obviously. There are lots of little fragile bits in there..

If you are intereseted in doing it yourself though, there are some great take aprt guides out there. It'd save you a few bucks I guess, might be interesting seeing in there. This isn't liie upgrading a PC though. The components are very tightly packed in and there is little room for error.

Good luck.

Audioi

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2006
Upstate NY
Not sure about the Mem sticks but its so easy to swap.
I have done both of my Mini's. I have a early style (1 stick) and the new Intel Duo (2 sticks). Its a snap and a pop away. All you need is a putty knife and a discharge of static 1st.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
You must be in the US 'coz the lowest price BestBuy.ca has is $169 each :eek:
The general specification is correct but there's no way to tell 100% if it is compatible

Question: Does BestBuy guarantee Mac compatibility on that specific piece? If not you're on your own for testing. Do they offer a 100% refund (no restocking or shipping charge) if it doesn't work?

You can get guaranteed Mac-compatible RAM at DMS for $124 each / $248 pair, free shipping, no tax.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I am the most impatient person on the planet and really don't want to have to wait to order my Mac mini from Apple. I'm looking at one of the 2 Mac Minis, but I want to upgrade to 2GB of RAM. We have a retailer here, but they charge $150 per GB of memory to upgrade. Now, Best Buy currently has PNY Optima 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SoDIMM Notebook Memory for $89.99. I think the Apple store wants 30 bucks to install it, but I'm not sure if that's per stick or total. Anyway, question 1, this memory should work, yes? Question 2, I've put RAM and Hard Drives and other stuff in a PC, am I capable of doing this? If it's a total of thirty bucks to put them both in, I'll pay it, but I don't want to pay sixty bucks if I don't have to.

Any help is appreciated! This will be my first Mac and although I'd love to go all out and buy an iMac, our budget won't allow it, so I'm trying to get what I can with the budget I have to work with!

i just got this ram from best buy and it works great so far. i have a macbook though so can't help you out on if it's easy to install. i do know the ram will work for your intel mini

edit: whoops i see you did it already

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Mac compatibility with Intel Macs is pretty much the same as PeeCee compatibility.

Same chipset, same memory controllers, same processors, same everything. I am sure you'd do fine with any decent brand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.