Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyallen34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
I'm getting a $599 Mac Mini sometime this weekend ($579 with educational discount) and I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade the RAM to 1GB.

This computer is going to be mainly used for word processing, web browsing, IMing, some video/audio editing with iLife, and possibly some Photoshop/Dreamweaver web designing (not high DPI or high res stuff) (running under Rosetta). I think I read that the Mac Mini allocates 64mb of RAM for the integrated graphics, so that would eat up some of the default 512mb.

So should I spend the extra $68 to upgrade the RAM based on what I'm planning to do with the computer? Would it truly be worth it?

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Most people around here are probably gonna say go for the ram upgrade. I think you are fine with 512, especially seeingas iLife runs on older Macs aswell. IMO you are good with 512.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Get 1 gig. Seriously. A friend at work has the Core Duo 1.66 Ghz with 512 MB of RAM. Any more than email and firefix open, and it is real slow to respond, expecially if Office is involved. I have a G4 mini with 1 gig and in terms of multi-tasking and responsiveness, it's way better than the Intel with 512 MB.

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
KALM
dops7107 said:
I have a G4 mini with 1 gig and in terms of multi-tasking and responsiveness, it's way better than the Intel with 512 MB.

Thats my observation as well. My old 1.25 mini just didn't slow down that much with a ton of apps open. My MB, however, feels more susceptible to slow downs with more apps open. Contrary to popular belief though, its not a big deal and the computer doesn't become unusable with mere Mail and a browser open.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
dops7107 said:
Get 1 gig. Seriously. A friend at work has the Core Duo 1.66 Ghz with 512 MB of RAM. Any more than email and firefix open, and it is real slow to respond, expecially if Office is involved. I have a G4 mini with 1 gig and in terms of multi-tasking and responsiveness, it's way better than the Intel with 512 MB.
I have a MacBook Pro. When I have Photoshop CS2, skype, adium, NeoOffice, iTunes, Mail and Address Book open it is fine, still absolutely fast.

dannyallen34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
aaron.lee2006 said:
I have a MacBook Pro. When I have Photoshop CS2, skype, adium, NeoOffice, iTunes, Mail and Address Book open it is fine, still absolutely fast.
Do you only have 512mb of RAM in your MBP?

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
If any software is going to require Rosseta i.e. not Universal (CS2 for example), then the extra memory is going to be very useful.

Apple never put enough memory in their base-configuration machines.

wiz7dome

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
Yes its worth it. I just installed 2GB of ram in my 1.66 core dual mini. And it feels like a totally different machine. I had to reseat the second card so when I first tested it, it only showed up as 1GB. But even then there was a quite noticeable speed increase. If you're not squeamish about installing yourself you can find the 2GB kits a MemoryX for $109. I have yet so see a deal come close to that.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
before first-hand experience with my MB, I would have said 512 would be plenty for you. And though, yes, you could get by with it, you will DEFINITELY notice the lag.. 512 really chokes the system.

Honestly, I was amazed that even when just running thunderbird and safari, my MB would give me the spinning beach ball of death over and over.. the fans would kick on full blast.. and i'd have to wait 3 minutes for the thing to get back in order.

I went straight for a full 2 gigs (because I'm going to be running Adobe products for school), and NOW this thing is AMAZING. I'd strongly suggest a 1gb upgrade, now or soon in the future - you'll be glad you did!

Echo toxin

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2006
Lots of RAM is probably the most important thing you can have. Mac OS X is very good at utilising extra memory to cache things and make the whole user experience better. Even though it added another 25% to the cost of my mini, I went for the full 2Gb.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
wiz7dome said:
Yes its worth it. I just installed 2GB of ram in my 1.66 core dual mini. And it feels like a totally different machine. I had to reseat the second card so when I first tested it, it only showed up as 1GB. But even then there was a quite noticeable speed increase. If you're not squeamish about installing yourself you can find the 2GB kits a MemoryX for $109. I have yet so see a deal come close to that.

Never heard of them, but that's a great price! Did you buy there? How was the service and product?

EDIT: I went over to memoryx.com, which redirects to memoryx.net, and the 2gb kits are $220... a single 1gb module module is $109.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Do it! I upped my RAM to 1GB from 512MB, and it made a world of difference! Of course, I have the Core Solo, but it's still really fast, and now I don't really ever get the beachball when opening lots of apps. I'm upping it to 1.5GB soon, even!

MacPhil5

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2006
New York
I upgraded my core solo mini from 512 to 2 gigs and it made a real difference even in everyday apps, especially under Rosetta (remember Word is still not a UB app :mad: ), not to mention video editing, which is a memory consuming task whatever program you use. Before upgrading the RAM, I was forced to use iWork, cause Office was too slow to scroll large documents properly.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth

I have a gig and a quarter in my mini duo and still get spinning beach balls of death... so get what you can afford to get... I ordered my 24 inch iMac with 2 gigs just because of my Mac mini experience... enjoy nonetheless...:)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
vansouza said:
I have a gig and a quarter in my mini duo and still get spinning beach balls of death... so get what you can afford to get... I ordered my 24 inch iMac with 2 gigs just because of my Mac mini experience... enjoy nonetheless...:)
you are suppose to use matched memory in those core duo's so in essence you are slowing it down .:eek:

SBT

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2006
England
I'm thinking of upgrading my mini's (G4) RAM. Atm it is a measly 512mb BUT i might just wait a few months till ma B'day and get a new Core Duo:D

wiz7dome

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
mrgreen4242 said:
Never heard of them, but that's a great price! Did you buy there? How was the service and product?

EDIT: I went over to memoryx.com, which redirects to memoryx.net, and the 2gb kits are $220... a single 1gb module module is $109.

It must have been either a sale or a fluke. I was surprised at the price as well but checked the site for reviews and saw that people ordered from them so I gave it a shot. I thought it was a mistake too given Crucial's prices. I guess they caught their mistake in price or the sale ended.

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
2GB is the way to go... I mean, it's soooo much more responsive, and everything is MUCH faster.

YES YES YES!

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
JAT said:
Tried it yourself? This is completely false.

Well, there is a bit of truth to it. They will run fine with unmatches pairs, but you will get a little speed boost with matched pairs (0%-5% or so depending on the application). Barefeats has some good benchmarks on this.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
If you upgrade to a gig from Apple is will cost you $75

A 512 meg memory module (bringing you to 756 meg) will cost you $94 from Crucial.

Do the Math. :D

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
SBT said:
I'm thinking of upgrading my mini's (G4) RAM. Atm it is a measly 512mb BUT i might just wait a few months till ma B'day and get a new Core Duo:D
I should make you get more-using Photoshop is painful on your Mini (worse than under Rosetta even :eek: !) And don't you mean a Core 2 Duo?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.