Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Thanks!

Why don't they show the insides?
They mention it but no video/images.

Reactions: DVD9

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2012
UK
Thanks!

Yeah it's a little frustrating, the most that is mentioned is at Macworld:

You can easily open up the Mac mini on your own: The circular plastic cap at the bottom of the Mac mini pops off to unveil an aluminum hatch that’s kept in place with torx screws. But what you’ll find when you remove the hatch is that the memory is placed in a sort of a cage, and that you’ll need to remove the fan and other components to get access. It’s not a trivial task.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
So is ssd user replaceable or soldered? Really want to know about that before pulling the trigger.

marc_b

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2018
Cologne, Germany
As expected the i7 can get relatively loud (well, audible...) so I think I'll opt for the i5 which should run much cooler, comparable to the i3 judging from most reviews of those CPUs.
Oh well, the i7 seems incredibly powerful but even Apple can't beat physics.

ETA: Having watched Marco's video, he says it's silent in everything but really heavy work loads so... ugh, decisions. :p

Last edited:

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks!

Here's why:

macmini2018bottom.jpg

Those RAM chips at the presentation and the promo pics.........where did they go to hide?

Reactions: kaibob

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
Dear Apple, you can't really prevent people to look up what's inside the component parts

:D Bet you want big fat money incoming from the Apple care & out of warranty.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
lmao does this solve memorygate or are we still arguing.
I prefer easily upgradeable memory but if the memory is upgradeable, albeit with a little extra work, I'm OK with that too. As long as it doing so doesn't void the warranty or require the removal of things which cannot be reassembled.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
From the 2nd mini review (of the i7): normal workload or full CPU with turboboost disabled (thus simulating i3) it's silent.
Idle: 15W

This is similar to what I was saying in a post in a 2018 Mini decision topic thread... I referenced being able to do this with my HP i7 6700T Mini desktop... If you want lower noise and thermals similar to the non i7 CPUs like the i3 just disable turboboost...for full performance run it with standard settings. It should put to rest most of those thermal and noise arguments against getting the i7. It now comes down to a simple cost and performance needs decision.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.