Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clarkee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
I upgraded the 80GB HDD in my Mac Mini to a 250GB western digital one last night, and it all went well.

The Mini is primarily my media centre hooked up to some externals drives for my itunes library, so the speed of it is not massively important.

But i noticed this morning when i was transferring files off my MPB to store on it that its slow to switch between apps and i get the spinning wheel for a second or two, plus its noisier than it was.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why this may be?

Thanks in advance.

Clarkee.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
It's probably slowing down because Spotlight is indexing your new hard drive. You can tell if this is happening by looking at the magnifying glass in the top right hand corner of the screen. It will have a blinking dot in the middle.

Is the drive itself noisier, or is it the fan? Try and download SMC Fan Control so you can set the fan speed. You also hooked up the thermal sensor correctly right?

thewireman

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Michigan
It is also possible that you bought a 5200 RPM harddrive instead of 7200RPM harddrive? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

clarkee

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
I think after reading those replies and taking apart the mini, it is the drive that is noisier!

i didnt even think of that before.

had smcFan Control already i stalled, so i turned up the fans, waaaaaaaay too noisy.

its defiantly a 5400 drive, should that be louder or quieter than a 7200??

thanks guys.

clarkee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.