Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxeManNY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
I'm pretty intrigued by the new Mac Mini Server and have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can input some insight. I'm currently using a Mini (1.8gig/1gig RAM) with a Drobro FW400 array to share my video collection. Two items I was wondering if a new Mac Mini w/SL server would help:

1. The Mini will not go to sleep if any computer is sharing the the Drobo volume. I have to manually disconnect any share on the Mini before it goes to sleep. This is a problem as the Drobo can get a bit hot as it's in an enclosed space.

2. If two or more workstations are sharing the Drobo, there is a bit of latency that causes Plex to pause.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My guess with number one is that the new Mini will behave the same way either using the Drobo or an internal shared drive.

Number 2, I will blame the network connection on this one. If the connection is wireless try making it a wired connection as those older Minis don't have N.

Lastly in my opinion you do not need to upgrade. What you have will work for years to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.