Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
I recently sold my 7 year old iMac and been thinking of replacing it with the M1 mini base model.

What are thoughts on the value now? Says neutral on the buyer guid but is it likely about to be updated.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I'd say that it's unlikely that Apple will release an updated mini before March next year at the earliest. With the holiday season approaching and ongoing chip shortages, spring is the earliest I see any new hardware being released.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
I'd say that it's unlikely that Apple will release an updated mini before March next year at the earliest. With the holiday season approaching and ongoing chip shortages, spring is the earliest I see any new hardware being released.
Yeah I was thinking that.

And even then I’m assuming it might just have the M1 Pro/Max as options.

Reactions: Tagbert

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
There are some rumors that we might see a redesigned mini or perhaps even a "mini pro", so chances are there will be an M1/M2 model and higher end M1/M2 Pro/Max model in the future. If the new models are released in the spring then there's little chance of anything else than a M1 Pro/Max in the higher end version. But the consumer-oriented machine may get a new M2 chip. Nobody outside of Apple really knows at this point though.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
What are thoughts on the value now? Says neutral on the buyer guid but is it likely about to be updated.

It's still a good value little device. However, it's possible Apple will update it soon, maybe mid year. Maybe they won't and will let it sit for 5+ years like they have in the past.

If you need one, buy one. If you don't need one... then do what makes you happy. I mean, between now and then you'll get 6+ months use out of the current model if you buy today.

Just remember there is ALWAYS something faster coming. And especially if you keep machines a long time - it doesn't really matter what happens in 6 months or 1-2 year's time - if you're planning to run a machine for 5+ years.

That said, with Apple gear it generally pays to buy when things are pretty newly released because the prices do not usually change over time and the device support (macOS, etc.) will end on the same date whenever you buy so...

Reactions: Tagbert

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
It's a great machine though and runs so cool and quietly. I can tell you the current M1 Mini trade-in value with Apple is very good. I bought my refurb Mini for $589 and just traded it in for $520. How long that trade-in value stays >$500 remains to be seen. But it makes getting an M1 Mini now instead of waiting and then trading it in later if you decide you'd prefer the new version.I only traded in because of work changes and needing a laptop, so went with a refurb MBA.

Last edited:

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I bought a base model M1 Mini almost a year ago while I was waiting for the 14" MBP to be released, and it's been great. My original plan was to trade it in on the new MBP after the holidays, but I like it so much I might just keep it. Great price/performance.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I've been a "Mini fan" since 2013, owning a 2012 Mini and now a 2018 Intel Mini.

But... having said that... I WOULD NOT buy the m1 Mini. It's just "too limited", in my opinion.

I'd hold out for the m1pro version, that looks to be getting close to release (but you never know)...

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I've been a "Mini fan" since 2013, owning a 2012 Mini and now a 2018 Intel Mini.
Got you beat there. :) Bought the first gen Core Duo back in 2006. I even replaced it with a 2 gHz Core 2 Duo processor a few years ago (along with an SSD) and flashed the ROM so it could take 3 GB RAM. The DVD drive is long dead, but it still works fine with Snow Leo.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Got you beat there. :) Bought the first gen Core Duo back in 2006. I even replaced it with a 2 gHz Core 2 Duo processor a few years ago (along with an SSD) and flashed the ROM so it could take 3 GB RAM. The DVD drive is long dead, but it still works fine with Snow Leo.
I got the G4 Mini in 2005. Once the Intel Minis came out, I gifted the G4 to my sister and got one of the Intel units. It seemed so much faster at the time. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.