Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
The other partition is my attempt at installing windows on it to see if it would run, it never did and with me erasing and reinstalling mac osx so many times i just forgot to delete that partition.

I tested a usb hard drive the other day and isntalled osx onto that but it got stuck at the same loading screen so doubt its the hard drive. My guess is that its the logic board or a component on it thats faulty.

Im trying to get my hands on Apple Service Diagnostic to see if it will detect something on my mac, barring this dont think there is much else i can do.

You tried installing Windows on separate partition, but not using Boot Camp, can you do that? My understanding is that some USB hard drives are problematic at booting.

Call me masochistic, but I still think I'd try a reformat of the entire hard, with only one partition, and a fresh install of ONLY the OS. If that fails to boot it then it's probably hardware related.

muffiee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
You tried installing Windows on separate partition, but not using Boot Camp, can you do that? My understanding is that some USB hard drives are problematic at booting.

Call me masochistic, but I still think I'd try a reformat of the entire hard, with only one partition, and a fresh install of ONLY the OS. If that fails to boot it then it's probably hardware related.

Just tried a complete wipe and reinstallation, no luck im afraid. I've managed to get my hands on some apple technician software that should have a better chance of diagnosing any faulty hardware, will report back once i get some results

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Just tried a complete wipe and reinstallation, no luck im afraid. I've managed to get my hands on some apple technician software that should have a better chance of diagnosing any faulty hardware, will report back once i get some results

The OS wouldn't install on the mini or it wouldn't boot after the installation was complete?

muffiee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
The OS wouldn't install on the mini or it wouldn't boot after the installation was complete?

It installed all ok but hung at the same boot screen,
also the diagnostic software i got hold of wasnt supported by my mac mini so couldnt even run that, think ill just try selling this off as faulty on ebay and buy a new one as the problem is now a bit beyond me .

Thanks for all the help,

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Sorry to hear that. I wish there was something else I could tell you, but alas, I'm afraid after all you've tried the conclusion is a hardware problem.

Apple does have some pretty good prices on the refurb Mac mini but you need to keep your eye on the store like a hawk to find them as go very quickly. I've heard that Refurbme is a pretty good way to be alerted when they get restocked.

Also, if you buy new, the MacRumors Buyer's Guide is showing the mini currently at a Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle status, so if you can wait a bit there may be new goodies in store for the Mac mini with an upgrade.

muffiee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Ahh thanks for the info! i might hang on purchasing another one in that case, would be really nice if the next line of mini had a Core i5 processor like the new macbooks have.

Guess we'll wait and see

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.