Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el sungit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
My mac mini cant read DVD movies but can read Burned CD and Installers.
I tried the DVD's with my macbook but works just fine.
tried burning some files and it works as well.
what do i need to do to fix my problem?
do i need to update something or download some programs ?

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Does it read data DVD discs, like your install discs?
The files you burned, was that CD or DVD?
They all use different lasers, so it's not uncommon that CDs work and DVDs don't, or vice versa. Though if say your original install DVDs are readable, then it's not the laser.

If you haven't done it, I'd try a SMC reset too. Power off the system and unplug everything for 30 seconds. It sounds silly, but when I do HW troubleshooting for people, I'll have them try a SMC reset just because it's simple, and I have seen once or twice odd optical drive issues get fixed by the reset.

el sungit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Does it read data DVD discs, like your install discs?
The files you burned, was that CD or DVD?
They all use different lasers, so it's not uncommon that CDs work and DVDs don't, or vice versa. Though if say your original install DVDs are readable, then it's not the laser.

If you haven't done it, I'd try a SMC reset too. Power off the system and unplug everything for 30 seconds. It sounds silly, but when I do HW troubleshooting for people, I'll have them try a SMC reset just because it's simple, and I have seen once or twice odd optical drive issues get fixed by the reset.

yes it read dvd discs
file burned are cd's will try later burning dvd's
will give a try on the SMC reset. unplug like everything at the back of the mac mini?
thanks bud! really appreciate your suggestions

el sungit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
ok i just tried a dvd tv series and it plays.
but my 2 dvd movies doesnt.
any conclusion?
pls help solve my problem

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
ok i just tried a dvd tv series and it plays.
but my 2 dvd movies doesnt.
any conclusion?
pls help solve my problem

What region on the movies? I'm grasping at straws here, if it can play DVD TV show box sets and not a regular movie . . .that is just bizarre.

-iGrant

el sungit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
What region on the movies? I'm grasping at straws here, if it can play DVD TV show box sets and not a regular movie . . .that is just bizarre.

-iGrant

how will i know the region ? sorry not familiar with this.

el sungit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
It should say on the back case that the DVD was in. I would try other DVD movies as well. Again this just sounds like a really bizarre situation.

-iGrant

but it worked in my macbook with any problem.
i really find it weird as well.
that is why im asking if maybe i just need top download or update something.
i tried 4 movies already. still not working but working on my macbook.
the dvd stays inside for some few seconds then automatically ejects after a while thats what is happening.
but when i insert the dvd tv series it automatically plays in the idvd program.
same with my installer discs, mac mini reads it as well.

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
but it worked in my macbook with any problem.
i really find it weird as well.
that is why im asking if maybe i just need top download or update something.
i tried 4 movies already. still not working but working on my macbook.
the dvd stays inside for some few seconds then automatically ejects after a while thats what is happening.
but when i insert the dvd tv series it automatically plays in the idvd program.
same with my installer discs, mac mini reads it as well.

:eek: you've got me then, I have no idea, there should be no difference between the TV Shows and the movies . . . .

-iGrant

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
For reading? Every DVD player that I know of supports DVD9. It's just another word for dual-layer, and most big video DVDs are dual-layer. The drive should also be capable of burning DVD-R DL.

So if the DVD movies and DVD TV series in question are purchased discs (meaning no burned media), and assuming there's no scratches or smudges on the discs...it may just be a flaky drive at this point.

If you don't already have another user on this system, make a test user and test the discs there too, I ran into some disc(s) that didn't want to play once, but would play in another user. Ended up yanking some caches and/or plists and that fixed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.