Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zildjansg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Hi guys,Is it possible that I will install Snow Leopard(from Leopard) on my mac mini using the OS X 10.6 from my 21' Imac?

Thanks

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
if you use a firewire cable and connect the two, start the iMac from the installer DVD and then start the Mac mini in target disk mode you might be able to install it this way

pac

zildjansg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
if you use a firewire cable and connect the two, start the iMac from the installer DVD and then start the Mac mini in target disk mode you might be able to install it this way

pac

thanks pacmania,but its not possible that i will install directly with the DVD installer to the mac mini?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
No those discs are specific to that machine so they will not install on your Mini. Just go out and buy Snow Leopard Retail or look on ebay for SL install discs specific to the Mini.

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
You can install on the iMac and then clone the install over to the Mac mini. That would work no problem.

zildjansg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
You can install on the iMac and then clone the install over to the Mac mini. That would work no problem.

Thanks for the reply OrangeSVTguy.

@stukdog: The Imac is already insatlled with OS X 10.6(btw,my imac is used by my gf,i have just the installer with me)appreciate much your suggestion,but im a complette noob(sorry for that),in short I dont know how to do that one..booo!:(

wpc33

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I've occasionally traded installs around machines for years, if I don't want all the tedium with a fresh install and am happy with the state of said install.

You won't have to use Software Update multiple times, nor re-enter serials and passwords, change prefs...It's a great way to do it, and the machine will still know it's an iMac if you clone from a Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.