Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jolt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
What do we think guys?

The front page suggests that the new Macbook could ship as early as next week. (Presumably Tuesday if it was next week?)

Given that the Mini's hardware tends to mirror the Macbook's hardware, is there the possibility of a simultaneous Macbook and Mac Mini release?

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
i would say it's more likely than not. i also noticed more minis appearing on apple's refurb site lately. that's usually a good indicator that it's going to be refreshed soon.

thefaceless

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
England, UK
Well we have no concrete evidence to believe it will... but who knows. Can't do anything other than sit and hope, really. They were both refreshed on the same day last time, but that doesn't prove anything.

If it is I'm all over one though. Even if it's just an update to the 320M.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Well we have no concrete evidence to believe it will... but who knows. Can't do anything other than sit and hope, really. They were both refreshed on the same day last time, but that doesn't prove anything.

If it is I'm all over one though. Even if it's just an update to the 320M.

Me to. Hoping for HDMI

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
Me to. Hoping for HDMI
don't hold your breath. if it hasn't shown up in the macbooks, it won't show up in the minis. besides, selling apple-branded hdmi adapters is just pure profit for them. :rolleyes:

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
don't hold your breath. if it hasn't shown up in the macbooks, it won't show up in the minis. besides, selling apple-branded hdmi adapters is just pure profit for them. :rolleyes:

There has been speculation. If not hdmi, I hope they atleast do audio over displayport

newfoundglory

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I hope there is a Mini update really soon as i'm in DESPERATE need of replacing my 1.5GHz PowerPC mini, which will be age 5 in December. Got my MBP to fall back on, but a new Mac Mini is needed and the HDMI will definitely find me down the Apple store.

I'm wondering what the speed bumps might be... I suspect it will be from 2.26 to 2.4 and 2.53 to 2.66 (+ BTO 2.8GHz which will be great!). We're definitely getting 320M.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Mini is the home theater box not apple tv it would only make sense it got hdmi. Apple should do the right thing and give mini hdmi and a better graphics option. Stop the handicap Apple.:apple: Give us a black option......how many silver hdtvs are there? Get with the program and if your engineers cant get it right just look at Dells little box.:rolleyes:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Mini is the home theater box not apple tv it would only make sense it got hdmi. Apple should do the right thing and give mini hdmi and a better graphics option. Stop the handicap Apple.:apple: Give us a black option......how many silver hdtvs are there? Get with the program and if your engineers cant get it right just look at Dells little box.:rolleyes:

I doubt Apple thinks it as HTPC... Issue with HDMI is licensing fees, that's why Apple chose DisplayPort. MDP can now carry audio in MBPs so that's all we need.

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
HDMI is NOT going to happen. I dont see why people have such an issue with buying a $10 adapter to go MiniDP-HDMI.

Also, the mini is not geared towards HTPC usage. Sure a lot of people (myself included) use it that way, but Apple still sees it as a switcher box (people who want to switch from PC for cheap). I would like to see them keep the low end mini, but offer us an HTPC grade High-end Mini. I'd probably buy an upgraded one to replace my current mini, then move the old one to my bedroom.

kyleh613

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010

Apple has acknowledged that they know people are using the Mac Mini a lot as home theater PCs. That is why the HDMI port has been speculated as existing. It is perfectly possible.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

Nothing wrong with the current graphics adapter for HD output, especially now that third parties have been given access to the hardware H.264 decoding.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I'm using the Late 2009 Mac Mini right now as an HTPC and it works perfectly. Yes, I use two cables for audio and video, but the 9400m is a very capable graphics card, especially with the now present h.264 third party decoding specs opened.

If the only thing holding some of you back is a second cable, well, I don't know what to tell you... Even if they add an hdmi port, some other technology is right around the corner. Light Peak anyone?:D

I have to admit, a black case option would be pretty sweet, though.:)

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
I'm using the Late 2009 Mac Mini right now as an HTPC and it works perfectly. Yes, I use two cables for audio and video, but the 9400m is a very capable graphics card, especially with the now present h.264 third party decoding specs opened.

If the only thing holding some of you back is a second cable, well, I don't know what to tell you... Even if they add an hdmi port, some other technology is right around the corner. Light Peak anyone?:D

I have to admit, a black case option would be pretty sweet, though.:)

I agre that the current Mac Mini works fine as an HTPC. However, it's been ages since an update, and I'm not going to buy one now, especially since the Macbook's been updated. I mean, I want to get the same specs bump the Macbook got. The extra processor speed, and GPU make it a decent upgrade.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I agre that the current Mac Mini works fine as an HTPC. However, it's been ages since an update, and I'm not going to buy one now, especially since the Macbook's been updated. I mean, I want to get the same specs bump the Macbook got. The extra processor speed, and GPU make it a decent upgrade.
Minis can go for YEARS without a substantial upgrade, as the GMA950 mini showed. I would suspect a quiet upgrade ala MacBook sometime in the next 2 months.

speedwaygirl

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
Minis can go for YEARS without a substantial upgrade, as the GMA950 mini showed. I would suspect a quiet upgrade ala MacBook sometime in the next 2 months.

My Dell Zino delivered yesterday in a wet box, so I refused delivery. It's my second try buying a non-Apple product that's gone bust. The Apple computer gods have spoken, so now I'm holding out for a Mini. Will give it a little time to see an upgrade happens.

Keeps Fingers Crossed!

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
If the only thing holding some of you back is a second cable, well, I don't know what to tell you...

Stop and consider that while a two cable configuration worked fine for you, there may be people with different configurations than your own, that will benefit from HDMI.

Even if they add an hdmi port, some other technology is right around the corner. Light Peak anyone?
Well by that argument, they might aswell skip updating anything altogether, so thats just stupid.

HDMI makes sense to add now, because its widely used now. Add whatever comes next whenever it does.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Stop and consider that while a two cable configuration worked fine for you, there may be people with different configurations than your own, that will benefit from HDMI.

I'm not questioning that people wouldn't benefit from HDMI. There are one cable/adapter solutions available. I'm saying not buying a Mini solely because it doesn't have an HDMI port is rather silly.

Well by that argument, they might aswell skip updating anything altogether, so thats just stupid.

HDMI makes sense to add now, because its widely used now. Add whatever comes next whenever it does.

HDMI made sense to add two years ago. How'd that work out for ya? There's zero evidence that Apple will add an HDMI port so my suggestion is that if you're holding your breath for this feature, it's time to exhale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.