Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zup2sky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
I have been reading that 802.11n is an easy upgrade to do.
Well I took a plunge and purchased MA688Z/B from hong kong ebayer.

The shipping took whopping 3 weeks.
Anyways.. I replaced the current with MA688Z/B and booted up the system.
The network utility note the card as Apple vendor and 802.11a/b/g/n and so on.

However there seems to be a problem: the current speed is only @ 65mbits.
In fact, the card seems to be slower than the previous 802.11g.

Has anyone experienced same problem? Is the card faulty?
Please share any experience if you have any
Any help will be great.

Thanks in advance.

zerohp

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
Every device on the channel must support N or it will drop down to the highest speed all devices can handle. Best setup is to use an access point that supports both 2.4 and 5ghz at the same time. Have your N devices use the SSID for the 5ghz network and your b/g devices use the other.

zup2sky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
No avail. I placed the router to support only 802.11n - the issue remains the same-> 65mbit/s
I am assuming i received a faulty wireless card.

zup2sky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Upon further research I was able to get 300mbps at windows 7 using boot camp.

However when I boot my mac mini into snow leopard, the network utility shows the transfer rate as 65mbps.

So my theory is it must be a software error. Either the firmware needs to be upgraded or driver needs to be upgraded.

Has anyone experienced this problem? And is it possible to upgrade firmware/driver using snow leopard?

nmattila

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009
Hi!

I've also been having issues between a 5ghz n standard AE and a Mac Mini. Haven't found a solution yet :( I'm using Leopard.

zup2sky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
after switching my router to WRT610N the problem disappeared. When I connect mac mini to 5ghz network, apple shows me the connection as : 300mbps. :)

gchung

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi!

I've also been having issues between a 5ghz n standard AE and a Mac Mini. Haven't found a solution yet :( I'm using Leopard.
same here, although I have Snow Leopard. I have my Airport Extreme configured so that the 5GHz band only supports N. when i connect to that wireless network using the mac mini, it becomes unusable after a few days. it can no longer negotiate a secure WPA2 session even though it keeps prompting me for, and I type in, the right password. Rebooting is the only fix. I know this is the mac mini, because i have two Airport Expresses that are connected to this wireless-N (5 GHz) network and they have no problems.

scottlutz

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
5 Ghz: Mac Mini = No, Apple TV = Yes

same here, although I have Snow Leopard. I have my Airport Extreme configured so that the 5GHz band only supports N. when i connect to that wireless network using the mac mini, it becomes unusable after a few days. it can no longer negotiate a secure WPA2 session even though it keeps prompting me for, and I type in, the right password. Rebooting is the only fix. I know this is the mac mini, because i have two Airport Expresses that are connected to this wireless-N (5 GHz) network and they have no problems.

I too am having this issue. I have a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard Server that upon reboot will connect to the 5Ghz network, but after a period of time (a few hours) it not only disconnects, but also disables and prevents the wi-fi from obtaining a new connection...

I can connect to the 5Ghz network from my Apple TV with no problems, btw...

Strange

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.