Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
Hi all,

I've recently made 'the switch' and i'm very happy to have done so!!!!

I'm hoping to get some pointers on where to start out as an apprentice of sorts - something i can do to earn a little money while at the same time getting to learn how to use my Mac.

I'd be interested in working for any publication (newspaper/magazine etc), or taking on some work alongside a graphics designer..

Any help would be appreciated, and other recommendations in terms of paths to follow are also welcome.

My background is in Windows HelpDesk support, so nothing useful there i think..:eek:

cApO

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
I don't think looking for a job here is a good idea.

Thanks for advising - is there a thread i've missed somewhere where i could get some advice, or is it not the sort of thing discussed on this forum.. I'm not being sarcastic; just tryna get the sense of your message.. :)

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
Thanks for advising - is there a thread i've missed somewhere where i could get some advice, or is it not the sort of thing discussed on this forum.. I'm not being sarcastic; just tryna get the sense of your message.. :)

You post sounds more like a direct request for job openings to the forum members than a request for advice. Not sure how many jobs allow you to learn computer systems - specifically Mac systems - on the clock, either.

If you're yearning to work with anything advanced - programming, graphic design, photography - you're going to need more computer skills than basic Mac training. Which means self-training or taking a few courses...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Publishing / graphic design are both difficult fields to break into. You haven't mentioned your qualifications, degrees, etc. Publishers, even for intern-level positions, typically have their pick of top college graduates. If you've got a very prestigious four-year degree, you might have a shot. But then, you should be working your connections from your university. I don't think you're going to find a lot of help here.

Sorry to be a downer, those are just the facts. As others have suggested, you probably should start by taking some classes.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
As said, not sure of qualifications, but if haven't already done so take courses related to the field. Once you've done that and what not, try contacting some local companies in your area. Doesn't have to be a job, an internship works well to. You may not, and probably won't, get what you want right away, but just get your foot in the door. Get some experience. Oh yeah, and also a portfolio. That's important!

Won't know until you try. Good luck! :)

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
Thanks for all the help..

I was looking to get an idea of what people are doing out there with OSX, what sort of real, average, working environments (not software development - i don't think i could hack it hehe)..

It was just so i can get an idea of what people are using these fabulous machines for - maybe some info and examples of work done in an office environment where OSX is the main or only OS? As for earning while i learn to use it, an internship/apprenticeship would be fabulous if i could stumble across one. I'm in the UK BTW, but anything that'd better give me an idea on the above-mentioned would be cool..

I guess i'm tryna see what career paths are out there within that specific niche, and then i'll make the decision on which one to follow..

My qualifications are not OSX-based; I've got Seven GCSEs, 2 A'Levels in Computing and Information Tech (sorta like pre-uni qualifications for US readers)... I've nearly finished studying for my MCSE (yeah - i know lol), but i'm already thinking of switching from being a potential fixer of Windows problems etc to being someone who can use their Mac to do some cool stuff and get paid for it :D

It's a new world for me, so plenty of time still to get things sorted..

sohosid

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Portland
being someone who can use their Mac to do some cool stuff and get paid for it

OK. Well, you need to stop that thinking right away.

You do not base a career on the tools that you use. For one thing, the Macs of today may be helping people in certain jobs do certain things, but that will not always be the case.

15 years ago, Macs in the publishing / graphic design companies did not exist. Instead, they used machines costing millions of pounds / dollars.

When I first started as a retoucher, around 18 years ago, we used Scitex. These beasts cost upwards of £1m each. Around 10 years ago, Apple and Photoshop started to poke their respective noses in...and the rest is history.

You should be looking for a career that excites you, and uses your talents.

Publishing will change beyond all recognition in the next 10 to 20 years. As todays teenagers grow,they become the target audience for all printed media. Since they are the internet generation, the amount and quality of magazines and newspapers will decline (it already is). Do you really want to join a declining industry with too many people already qualified and looking for work to compete against?

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
London
That's sorta why i was asking what people are doing with their Macs right now - i understand industries shift and change with market forces, so i was just trying to get an idea of what people are doing. I AM coming from the Pc world, where people i know often wonder what the hype is about when it comes to Macs - all they hear is how the macs can 'do great stuff' and 'do it better' and 'do it faster, cleaner, neater etc' - what is IT?!? :confused:

call it curiosity - maybe i should start a new thread asking people what they use their Mac at work for...?:confused:

CaPo

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Hi all,

I've recently made 'the switch' and i'm very happy to have done so!!!!

I'm hoping to get some pointers on where to start out as an apprentice of sorts - something i can do to earn a little money while at the same time getting to learn how to use my Mac.

I'd be interested in working for any publication (newspaper/magazine etc), or taking on some work alongside a graphics designer..

Any help would be appreciated, and other recommendations in terms of paths to follow are also welcome.

My background is in Windows HelpDesk support, so nothing useful there i think..:eek:

cApO

Congratulations on the switch. I had an old (yet nice) Dell that I was trying to do some video editing on but got frustrated (this was a few years back). I've been doing editing on my iBook G4, but is slow for longer video work and the my drive has since been filled with other stuff. I bought a Mini last night to take the place of that old Dell finally so I can get some video editing done. It's all for church and personal/friends though.

My friend, an artist, tried to get into graphics design. It's very competitive (since it's an art job that pays). He went to our local junior college to for computer graphics design classes (has has an MFA already).

The only thing is that around here, the jobs are few and they want a digital portfolio. Plus, a lot of the jobs are going from full time to contract/commission basis (sort of like getting paid to paint a certain painting type of thing) so it's even harder.

I did have another friend that got a full time graphics art job, but that was his actual major and he's super-duper talented...

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Some real jobs that can use macs.

Radio/TV Engineers, Photographers/Videographers, Graphic Design, Professor/Lecturer/Reasearcher, Software Developer, IT Administrator, Computer Service Technician, Journalist, the list goes on...and on....and on...

Technically, since Macs can do Windows now, you can use it for any job that requires/uses/touches a computer.

Stop trying to focus your career on using a Mac, do something you will love and enjoy...

IT is like eBay, its whatever you want...

sohosid

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Portland
Stop trying to focus your career on using a Mac, do something you will love and enjoy...

Exactly what I was trying to say...

A Mac, as wonderful as it is, is just a tool. It does what *you* want it to do.

If you enjoy using them, and end up in a career which allows you to do so, then great. But you should not be making career decisions based on wanting to use one at work. Companies are very fickle, and you could be working on a Dell next week at the drop of the accountants' hat. Whilst that's unlikely at the moment in certain industries, it could happen.

So, think about what you'd like to do for a job, and pursue that. If Macs come into the equation later on, even better. If not, then just enjoy using it at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.