Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
I am having a problem scanning the 8 digit code on a smart plug because I can't really see one. I have sent an email to the manufacturers and they have asked me to supply the MAC number but is it marked on the code and how many numbers am I looking for, please?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Thanks . Is that address found on my router then and not the smart plug?

Every device on the network will have a MAC address for each network interface. I would guess it's on the plug but without seeing the manual/instructions I cannot say for sure.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
This all assumes the plug connects to your house's wifi, if not let us know how it normally connects

you might be able to find it somewhere in your router's settings
If the plug is already joined to your wifi, then your router will know the MAC address, and you should be able to see it.

look for a page about DHCP, it should show all of the devices on your network, their Mac addresses, and the IP addresses assigned to them. if you're lucky, the plug will be named something you can figure out. If you're less lucky, enough of the others will have names that you can figure out which one it is.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
It’s ok now thanks I had a spare smart plug and was able to scan it. I have a HomePod but the automation only turns off on the phone is there any way of controlling it via the HomePod fro yo known

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Which plug is it? The only devices I’ve seen without the 8 digit HomeKit code label on it are those that have a display (Ecobee thermostat, Vizio TV, etc) or those that didn’t initially have HomeKit support but received later on via firmware update (early Wemo Mini, Arlo camera base station, etc)

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
It’s a Meross
I just got a Meross Outdoor receptacle from Amazon and it has the HomeKit code label on it. Are you sure yours is HomeKit compatible? I know they sell two versions on Amazon, one without HomeKit and one with which is actually like 5 USD more.

Edit: 7 USD more

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
843FCE52-6A7E-4FCA-A6D4-19E391BC92A3.jpeg

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
If it is HomeKit compatible, you should be able to control it with the HomePod by referring to it by the name you gave it in HomeKit.
For example. “Hey Siri, turn on the Meross plug”

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
It’s ok thanks it works now. I wonder if it says 13 amp MAX if a smart plug would be suitable for an electric kettle or would it be better for a low voltage one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.