Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wn3_z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2001
My mac has been running nonstop for 3 whole day. is this harmful? i do not have air-conditioning in my room. will the chips burn out?

jMc

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
OMG!

Leaving your Mac on for anytime more than 50 hours could seriously damage the BS infrastructure - contact your nearest retailer immediately, you'll need to buy some Mac coolant, and the retailer should be able to tell you exactly what you need to do. But DON'T turn your Mac off now until you've added the coolant, or the damage may be irreversible...
j;)x

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Leave it on, if reasonable...

Hello,

So long as your room temperature doesn't exceed 95 F, you shouldn't worry about it.

If your room is typically warmer than this, then yes, turn it off when you're done using it.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
If you're not going to be using it, turn it off and save some electricity, if you're stepping away for a little bit you can sleep it.
Seriously that old "keep 'em running all the time" thing is probably the real reason behind California's power crisis.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
power usage...

Good point on the power usage thing.

The advice should probably be dependent on the machine we're talking about. Older machines don't have the same power-saving features of newer models.

"Sleeping" the machine on newer models is a good compromise. And, of course, you should probably be using the energy saver control panel to do that in feasible situations anyway.

akuma

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2001
I've had my cube on (running os x) for about 30 days straight. I haven't noticed any problems. I just set the display sleep to 10 or 15 mins.

Sometimes I'll put it to sleep (by pressing the power button) but I haven't had to power down (cept to install updates) and everything seems to be running fine.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: computer power usage

many, many homes and businesses keep the cpu on all the time and that cannot help the california power crisis but a computer only needs a small amount of juice

i blame it on all the hot weather people who move to chilly northern california and try to keep things in their home tropical...i see it all the time

and in the southland where its hot, people keep the ac running at a meatlocker level

it's like blaming air pollution on smokestacks when it's the zillions of cars in califnia that account for almost all measurable air pollution

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
You forgot:
Diesel Trucks and busses. Ever drive behind a natural gas powered bus in San Diego? No smoke.
Server farms, and their diesel generators during rolling blackouts.
Overpopulation.
Poor design of homes and businesses.
Overtaxed infrastructure, see overpopulation.

California's a mess these days, I moved up to the Northwest in January and I laugh when I get my power bills. Haven't paid more than $12 a month yet.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Heat heat!

To have a computer on for a few days is not harmfull, may be in the 80's but remember that when we have one computer at home there are companies and schools, production houses, etc. that have their equipment runing for the entire week even 24 hours a day with PCI cards and memory sims in every slot.

What is bad for a computer and any electronic device is to be off for weeks or months, humedity can harm the unit.
When you come from vacation, tur on your computer just for an hour or 2 before use it.

I work with lots of audio equipment, usually when I turn them on after a few months they come with wird sound and noises. I have a Roland sintetizer module that I didn't use in 8 months for more than 2 hours. I turned it on 3 days ago and it was making wird sounds in the back ground, I thought the unit was **** up. After 10 hours it was working as brand new, I'm sure the internal heat remove the humedity from the circuits, 3 more month and may be I would lost it.

So, heat can resolve most of the problems.

Another tip is not having a fan pointing to the unit at all times, you may be introducing humedity and dust, many amateur audio engineers do that, they push air in place of pull the heat out. If you push air in to an aplifier in a club, after one week you are gonna end up with a sample of every single cigarret, dust, and kitchen oil on the unit.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
only 3 days!!

man now you have me worried.. mine has been on for..... over a week...

I have a tower... so I have a fan. The iMac's dont.. or at least the new ones dont.

emilygrae

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2001
if it's not getting too hot, then leave it on!
i have an older iMac with a fan and while
it doesn't seem to function less efficiently,
the back/top of it gets VERY hot. my ibook
obviously doesn't have a fan, and as most
if not all laptops it also gets very hot, with
no problems observed. I did have an older
computer though, and by older i mean
summer of 1983, and in the summer it's
display would go from it's standard blue
to a very ugly "help-i'm-frying " shade of
brown. that being said, i think you should
leave it on. get a gnutella client, put tons
of mp3's in your shared folder, get a broadband
connection if you can, and leave your computer
on 24/7! as martha would say if she had a clue
about such things, "it's a good thing!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.