Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SenatorBen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
hey, I am still somewhat new to the Mac (I got my iMac in January) and have not played games on it yet...I'm a fan of strategy games, and was wondering if I should buy the Mac or PC versions of games (specifically Civilization IV or Age of Empires)? I have Windows XP running under Boot Camp, and would prefer to use Mac OS X as much as possible, but not if the games will run much better under Windows...I have a 20" iMac 2.33 Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of ram. If anyone has played either of these games or can recommend them, that would be great too...thanks!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Does the Civ4 Mac demo have the fix for video performance that's now in the retail version? If not, the demo could be a lot slower than the game would be.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Mac OS X: Convenience. No rebooting.

Windows: Performance, features, flexibility.

You decide what suits you better.

ziutek

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2004
CA
I have the mac version of Civilization IV and it has so many unresolved bugs (sound + graphics problems) and performance issues that I would highly recommend getting the PC version instead. Just check the user reviews on macgamefiles and you'll see what i mean. The game has been out since August and the current "fixes" break more things in the game...So yeah, get the PC version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.