Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Autumn828

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Someone gave me a 2013 mac book pro and I have just updated everything but it won’t go any further than OS X 10.9.5 when I go to update it to the latest version it says it doesn’t need to be updated. My friend who works for Microsoft gave me the computer to edit my pictures on and a monitor to go with it. Can the computer just not update to the newest version anyone know what to do? :(

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
A 2013 MBPro can upgrade to the latest 10.14 (Mojave), but will not show you an update to do that. You have to download the Mojave installer app, and install that.
Open your App Store. Mojave should appear in Updates, so just click Download. This will take a few minutes to download. The installer will launch automatically when download is complete, and click to continue with the install, which will take another few minutes. Your MBPro will then restart to complete the upgrade. The whole process (depending on the speed of your internet connection) may take most of an hour, and your MBPro will restart on its own a couple of times.

If Mojave does NOT appear in your updates tab, click on the Featured tab, and search for Mojave in that window. You will see the information page for Mojave. Click on the Download button, and run the install when that opens up - same as the above. It just takes some time, so you want to have a free hour to do that upgrade :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.