Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whitespy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Sorry I'm not a mac user Yet, so can anyone tell me if this OS is still useable online with reasonable success?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Tiger's great. Old, but great. App support is pretty much non-existent at this date in many areas, but there's still a fair few people out there still developing for Tiger. TenFourFox, Camino, Stainless etc. are just a few of the up to date browsers still supported.

Whitespy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Thanks,
I see from your systems you have a Dual 1.8ghz PowerMac G5

this is what I'm thinking of getting S/H, was thinking of using it as a media centre with XBMC but would be nice to try out some mac software too to get some idea about mac use.

what do you use yours for?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Thanks,
I see from your systems you have a Dual 1.8ghz PowerMac G5

this is what I'm thinking of getting S/H, was thinking of using it as a media centre with XBMC but would be nice to try out some mac software too to get some idea about mac use.

what do you use yours for?

Funnily enough, I was actually using it as my main machine until last week (iMac arrived). However, it was running Leopard. If you're thinking of getting a G5 then Leopard is an infinitely better choice. It's now a backup machine (I just couldn't bring myself to sell it :p). I'd also highly recommend a dual-core 2.3ghz over any other G5 as you'd get yourself a quicker Mac (than a dual 1.8 at least), 16gb DDR2 RAM vs 4gb DDR (vs 03/04 G5's), PCI-E graphics cards (again, vs 03/04 G5's). I'd also be wary of the liquid cooling systems used in the dual 2.5, dual 2.7 & quads. The dual-core 2.3 is the fastest & most reliable air cooled G5 around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.