Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forzamyro

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2019
Japan
I don't know the exact values of those "limitations" for Mac OS 8 or 9.
I couldn't find the right article for them.
But I think they're probably okay.
My concern is why the power goes down.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
So, I know this thread is about 8.6, but I felt like asking this here quickly rather than make a new thread (for now):

Any luck booting 8.5.1 on a G4, @LightBulbFun? Anyone? One thing to note is that from 8.5.1 to 8.6, we had the transition from nanokernel v1 to nanokernel v2 in Mac OS. As such, 8.5.1 on G4s would make me absolutely flip my *h*t in celebration.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Booting from a SATA PCI card, thanks to SCSI emulation, thus avoiding incompatible IDE interface issues...

Getting an early PCI ATI card, avoiding incompatible GPU issues...

I need to try this. This is insane. System7Today would flip their **** (and so would I, alongside them) if the likes of an MDD can boot System 7. Attempts for this deserve a different thread... so I'll stop hijacking this one.

forzamyro

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2019
Japan
"Mac OS 8.6 on Pismo" power-off issue.
I tested with and without the power adapter, the battery, and the PRAM battery.
But the results were mixed, such as A, B, C, D.
A: Power off (no icon on the menu bar)
B: Power off (only a battery icon)
C: Power off (with a battery icon and some others)
D: Finder opened but with error message
E: Finder opened successfully (March 22)
There are many events (e.g. display the menu bar, mount volumes, open assistant windows) to open the desktop fully.
So it seems to be influenced by the load, not the power supply.

CPU is protected by temperature control?
Where is that threshold controlled?

forzamyro

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2019
Japan
Further investigation.
The menu bar display at the moment power goes down.

02.jpg

AC adapter powered (with/without battery)
Battery icon is crossed out even with a normal battery installed.

03.jpg

Battery powered (without AC adapter)
Normal battery icon and "Finder" icon

hmm..............
So what?

msxpocky

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2024
Sorry for the bump, but any idea how viable something like this would be on the PowerMac G4 Cube? Always drove me mad that it's so similar to the Sawtooth in terms of specs but can't run 8.6 from that Sawtooth install disc ahaha

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Sorry for the bump, but any idea how viable something like this would be on the PowerMac G4 Cube? Always drove me mad that it's so similar to the Sawtooth in terms of specs but can't run 8.6 from that Sawtooth install disc ahaha
if you use my modified ROM which you will find earlier in this thread, I think theres a good chance it will work :) (since the G4 cube is as you say very similar to Sawtooth in terms of architecture)

just make sure to use a compatible GPU, the 8.6 ROM is *quite* picky about which GPU's it will load with, I find ATI cards with full ROM's work best

(I was able to boot MacOS 8.6 with my FireGL-X3-X850 XT, I still need/want to try that with the Dual Link DVI port and the AT-DP400 mind :) but not an NVIDIA FX 5200 for example )

and if you have an upgraded (newer than 7400/7410) CPU then make sure to spoof the CPU PVR accordingly also

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

msxpocky

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2024
if you use my modified ROM which you will find earlier in this thread, I think theres a good chance it will work :) (since the G4 cube is as you say very similar to Sawtooth in terms of architecture)

just make sure to use a compatible GPU, the 8.6 ROM is *quite* picky about which GPU's it will load with, I find ATI cards with full ROM's work best

(I was able to boot MacOS 8.6 with my FireGL-X3-X850 XT, I still need/want to try that with the Dual Link DVI port and the AT-DP400 mind :) but not an NVIDIA FX 5200 for example )

and if you have an upgraded (newer than 7400/7410) CPU then make sure to spoof the CPU PVR accordingly also
I've got a ATI Radeon 7000 currently installed in the Cube but also have the original ATI Rage card the computer came with. Is the 7000 likely to cause issues? Debating digging that card out, though I'm also worried about the machine ID for the Cube being PowerMac5,1 in the System profiler, will the modified ROM still be able to cover that machine ID? I did look through the ROM with a text editor just to check and I didn't see PowerMac5,1 listed, though editing and recompiling that ROM is something I'm not sure how to do

macvox

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2023
hello
is this the best thread to ask about running 8.6 on unsupported macs?

i have a fw400 MDD with Geforce2 MX running OS9, and i havent tried the method in this thread yet.

my questions are:

is it correct that i need an HDD on the ATA66 port and no other kind of storage will work for installing and booting? will an IDE-to-SATA adapter work stably?

and

since i will need to tweak openfirmware to use OS 8.6, is it impossible to have a dual-boot system setup (OSs 8.6 and 9)? are there any extra measures to take to make switching between them easier? can they share an HDD or will i need different HDDs or different partitions?

finally if there are any threads or webpages specific to FW400 MDDs and this process could you please post those links?

thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.