Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sotosoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Athens & Copenhagen
Hello people! I own an iBook Clamshell from 1999 with dual boot Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and OS 9.2.2.
Here's the issue: the iBook does not recover from sleep when in OS 9.2.2, but it does from OS X (although it takes some ~20 sec for the mouse to start moving...)

So, is this related to the sleep of death bug mentioned here: http://lowendmac.com/misc/02/0610.html ?
Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers!

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
It could be a system extension that is causing the problem or some piece of hardware connected to the device. Sometimes there is a system error that happens after the display goes off or when the machine first attempts to wake. The only way to really see what is going on is having a debugger Mac connected via serial...which the iBook does not have. What happens if you disable all of the extensions except for the necessary ones? I have also noticed that some 9.2/9.2.1/9.2.2 installers found on the net do some weird things and install incorrect components causing this issue and others. Towards the end of the classic Mac OS era there were so many hardware specific versions floating around that there were bound to be issues. I usually recommend to people that if they don't require 9.2.X than stay on 9.1. 9.2.2 was mostly for classic support in Mac OS X and really brings more problems to older hardware. But give the extensions a try.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
... I have also noticed that some 9.2/9.2.1/9.2.2 installers found on the net do some weird things and install incorrect components causing this issue and others. Towards the end of the classic Mac OS era there were so many hardware specific versions floating around that there were bound to be issues. ...
People usually know that there is a version for the MDD-FW800 and one for all others, but I made the same experience. I updated OS 9.1 on my iMac G3 DV and then copied the resulting 9.2.2 to my PowerMac G4 AGP. Didn't work. Then copied 9.1 to the G4 which worked, then again updated it and it had problems.
Luckily, there is a working "for-all" Version of 9.2.2 on Mac OS 9 lives forums.

Could it be, that OS 9 and 10.3 use different power management rules? I can't send my ibook G4 with 10.4 to sleep, because the DC-connector (not the battery) doesn't hold low power anymore, so it can't hold sleep stable. Maybe 10.3 handles Sleep-power differently than OS 9?

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Could it be, that OS 9 and 10.3 use different power management rules?

Now that you say that....the PRAM may need to be reset before booting into Mac OS 9. I remember something about the way Mac OS X stored values in there that may cause problems. But I can't remember the details...its been a few years.

I would try resetting the PRAM when you boot up Mac OS 9 to see if that changes anything. You can reset it by pressing and holding the Command, Option, P, and R keys right as you turn the computer on. Once your hear the startup chime a second time, the PRAM is cleared and you can release the keys. Keep in mind some settings like volume levels will be reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.