Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chanchowancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2017
Was wondering if anyone could answer this - I have a 165hz display that I was initially unable to get working with my Macbook Pro (2016) at over 60hz (using an HDMI adaptor).

As per some other threads on this forum, I picked up a usb-c to DisplayPort cable thing - presto! I could then select 120, 144 and 165hz at 1440p!

As I was taking some slow mo footage on my iPhone to boast to my friends, I became aware that despite running at 165hz, there was basically no difference in the slowed-down footage (moving mouse in circles, moving windows etc) - On my PC the difference between footage is night and day.

So my question is this - can Mac OS even run at 60hz+? It seems to me like the refresh rate of the monitor is 165hz (slightly less ghosting) but the OS itself is chugging along at a 60hz clip... Is this assumption correct? It doesn't bother me that much - the high refresh rate is more of a 'nice to have' than a 'must have', but after being spoiled by my Win 10 machine and iPad Pro I thought it would be cool!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.