Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

free.flyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
I am trying to install a fresh copy of Mac OS High Sierra on a new SSD from a USB stick, but the installation gets stuck after about 20 minutes at a progress bar. I have left it for hours but the progress bar remains at 0%. I have recorded a video of the installation - see link below...

https://freeflyer.dynu.net/nextcloud/index.php/s/wFkMEtLGocY7jZo

The Mac Book Pro is a 15-inch, Late 2011 running High Sierra 10.13.6 (on the existing SSD).

I used this guide to create a bootable installer for macOS...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201372

And downloaded High Sierra 10.13.6 from the app store (using the link in the above guide).

The graphics chip failed many years ago, so the mother board was replaced under warranty. However, a few years later the graphics chip failed again (its a common design fault) but I managed to switch to the internal graphics chip using this guide...

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ntel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/

I'm not sure if this might be the cause of the installation issue or if its something else ?

Why does the install stall at this point and how can I rectify this ?

My existing SSD is a 1TB Samsung EVO 850 and only has 1GB free !

The new SSD is a 2TB Samsung EVO 870.

free.flyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2021
Well I tried installing the OS on the original 500Gb HDD that came with the Mac Book Pro and it behaved the same, so its not the SSD.

I think that the OS was installed on the SSD, but the issue with the graphics chip is stopping it from booting.

I think I need to do these steps like I did last time to revert to the internal graphics chip, so Im about to try that...

First of all, it is possible to successfully boot a MBP to OS X while still using the failed GPU, after you remove the AMD drivers by booting in command line mode (CMD+S) and entering these commands:

1) fsck -fy (to check a disk)

2) mount -uw / (mount a root filesystem with read/write permissions)

3) sudo mkdir /AMD_Kexts/ (make a directory to store the AMD drivers in case you'll need them in future)

4) sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMD*.* /AMD_Kexts/ (move the AMD drivers)

5) sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/ (remove the AMD drivers cache)

6) sudo mkdir /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/ (just in case OS X will be dumb and will not recreate this directory, I am creating it for OS X)

7) sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/ (to update the timestamps so that new driver caches - without AMD drivers - will be definitely rebuilt)

8) sudo umount / (umount a partition to guarantee that your changes are flushed to it)

9) sudo reboot

So using the steps to remove the AMD drivers worked and I now have a nice clean fresh OS install :)

However....... I am surprised and gutted that I only have 1TB of space left on my new 2TB SSD :(

How on earth can this be right ? I have only installed Mac OS High Sierra and its using half of the SSD ?

I was running Mac OS High Sierra on my previous 1TB SSD, in addition to all the applications and large photo, Final Cut Pro and iTunes libraries etc

Why have I only got 1TB left of my 2TB SSD since installing a fresh copy of Mac OS High Sierra ? This surely can't be right ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.