Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

current997

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2023
MacBook Pro retina 15 inch mid 2012

I was running High Sierra and updated to Catalina. I checked if it was compatible with my mac before doing so and the apple site said it was.

I install it, and about 75% through, it says it has to restart due to a problem and then it keeps restarting in a loop over and over.

r/applehelp - Mac OS installation failed. Stuck in reboot loop.
Tried the following:

• Command + R: reinstalled Catalina but same thing happens.
  • Command + option + R: same as above
  • Command + shift + option + R: gives me the option to reinstall OS X but there is no drive showing up to install it on.
  • Option/Alt with older OS on HDD plugged in: Tried High Sierra and Mojave one at a time. This external HDD doesn't show up in the volumes upon booting.
  • First Aid shows no errors
What can I do? How can I install an older OS using the HDD? I’d like to keep my data intact.

Please and thank you, and a thousand blessings upon you if you can help!

herbert7265

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2023
Mexico
First of all, yes, your computer can run Catalina, I have the same configuration.

You have a backup of your computer, made before trying the update? If so, then you may try (potentially as the last resort) creating a bootable USB drive with the Catalina installer and (try to) do a clean install. After that you can restore your data from the backup.

At this moment I have no idea if there is another way to do the installation without a clean install.

Herbert

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
You could try doing both a PRAM and SMC reset. No idea if they would help, but they're both harmless.

And these articles from Apple Support might be helpful. For the first one, you'll want to select the OS from the dropdown.

If all else fails, and you live near an Apple store, you could try making a Genius Bar appt. Or you could phone Apple Support. Even if you're not under AppleCare, they may be willing to help.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You're in a pickle now.

You say "I'd like to keep my data intact".
Do you have a backup?
Because a non-booting drive with data that you can't "get to" is hardly "intact".

The reason "command-shift-option-R" won't let you install is because the drive is currently formatted in APFS, and to install 10.7 "Lion" (which that key combo would offer you) requires the drive to be formatted for HFS+ instead.

You can't "go back" to HFS+ unless you ERASE THE ENTIRE DRIVE, and that will erase your data, as well.

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS, please answer:
Do you have access to another working Mac?
Do you have a spare USB drive around?

We need to know that before advising you further.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
You should boot into Target Disk Mode and copy your data to another computer or external drive.

That looks like a kernel panic, which could be a hardware problem. The most common hardware cause would be bad RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.