Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pwillis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2020
I've performed numerous OS installations (including this one) in my lifetime but this one has me scratching my head:

I downloaded High Sierra from the App store to my Applications folder. I opened the installation and targeted a blank, freshly formatted SSD. The installation starts off as expected. Once it's done its thing it requests a Restart. When I restart, nothing happens. When I reinitiate the installation, it just does the same thing, over and over. Have I forgotten something?

I'm ultimately starting from scratch in order to prepare this SSD for an Opencore installation of Monterey, beginning with High Sierra, then Mojave, and so forth. Is there a shortcut to achieving this?

Many thanks in advance!

pwillis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2020
This is becoming silly. What am I doing wrong? Please!!

I've downloaded the installer from the App Store. I've tried the installation leaving the Install file in the App folder. I've tried it copying the Install file to a USB drive. I've tried leaving it on my desktop as well. Every time the installer asks for a Restart, my system comes back to a normal reboot stage with no additional installation process.
Initial Window.png

2nd Window.png

I'm attempting to install onto "Untitled" 30.42 GB.
Disk Choice Window.png

I've never seen this message about Adding A New Helper before.

Trying `To Add Helper?.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 7.15.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 8.18.14 AM.png

After the installation is done, I wait and the Mac Restarts itself but then I get my login window. I log in and nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong? I feel ridiculously stupid here. This is generally a no-brainer install. Help! Please!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 7.00.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 7.00.07 AM.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Trying `To Add Helper?.png
    Trying `To Add Helper?.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Add Helper?.png
    Add Helper?.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Add Helper.png
    Add Helper.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

pwillis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2020
I've now followed the instructions in this YouTube video to the "T".
Terminal Commands.png

Everything seemed to go according to the instructions but it still didn't work. I then was able to choose my new "Install macOS High Sierra" USB drive as a Startup disk in Sys Prefs however when my Mac rebooted, it seemed to ignore that choice.

Startup Disk.png

Last edited:

amaze1499

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
Looks like the 970 runs as an external (usb)drive in this setup, correct? Boot, hold alt key and select the volume manually. Second thought: Not all NVMe drives are supported in high sierra according to my understanding. Solution would be to use a patcher.

It also says: “I'm attempting to install onto "Untitled" 30.42 GB.” Installer shows the 970 is selected.

Last edited:
Reactions: pwillis

pwillis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2020
It also says: “I'm attempting to install onto "Untitled" 30.42 GB.” Installer shows the 970 is selected.

Yes, I tried it on both volumes with no luck on either one. I'll give your re-booting idea a go. Thanks so much!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.