Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myke323

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
I have a 2010 MBP running Sierra (10.12.6). I can't upgrade the OS any more as it's not supported. I am really trying to get another year or two out of this machine. So the problem is this thing crashes constantly. Sometimes 2-3 times in an hour. Sometime I can go 2 days without crashes. I have tried everything. I have a ton of hard drive space, and I have all the bells and whistles turned off. Done the pram and all that. Fun first aid etc. It usually happens when I'm in Photoshop and have to zoom in on something, or when I'm in Safari (sometimes but not always when viewing an enlarged image). There are no software updates available and haven't been for a while. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? If I could just prevent this machine from crashing I know I could get a couple more years out of it!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have a 2010 MBP running Sierra (10.12.6). I can't upgrade the OS any more as it's not supported. I am really trying to get another year or two out of this machine. So the problem is this thing crashes constantly. Sometimes 2-3 times in an hour. Sometime I can go 2 days without crashes. I have tried everything. I have a ton of hard drive space, and I have all the bells and whistles turned off. Done the pram and all that. Fun first aid etc. It usually happens when I'm in Photoshop and have to zoom in on something, or when I'm in Safari (sometimes but not always when viewing an enlarged image). There are no software updates available and haven't been for a while. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? If I could just prevent this machine from crashing I know I could get a couple more years out of it!
A 2010 MBP will support High Sierra 10.13.6.
If you have a 15", it's probably crashing due to some hardware issues involving the graphics card, but without seeing logs and without having details of your computer it's difficult to be sure.

Reactions: tomcatrr

myke323

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
A 2010 MBP will support High Sierra 10.13.6.
If you have a 15", it's probably crashing due to some hardware issues involving the graphics card, but without seeing logs and without having details of your computer it's difficult to be sure.
Interesting, thanks. Yes, it's the 15". I think you're onto something with the graphics card, I'll try to grab the log next time it happens. I didn't realize it supported High Sierra 10.13.6, I wonder if that might fix the issue or if it would be worth doing.

myke323

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
A 2010 MBP will support High Sierra 10.13.6
Would upgrading to High Sierra fix the issue do you think? When I upgraded to Sierra years ago I did a clean install, which I wouldn't want to do again, I would just upgrade without the clean install. If I thought it would fix the problem I would do it...

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Would upgrading to High Sierra fix the issue do you think? When I upgraded to Sierra years ago I did a clean install, which I wouldn't want to do again, I would just upgrade with the clean install. If I thought it would fix the problem I would do it...
If your problem is GPU related, then no. There's at least one very long thread about it on this forum so I suggest doing some searching.

tomcatrr

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2020
Hi, new here.
Just bought tuesday a 15" mid2010.
Put other HDD and he is running fine, on High Sierra.

take a look:

Reactions: CoastalOR

myke323

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Hi, new here.
Just bought tuesday a 15" mid2010.
Put other HDD and he is running fine, on High Sierra.

take a look:

Thanks! I will research and look into this when I get a bit more time... looks interesting...

myke323

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006

take a look:
Hey guys, thanks so much for taking the time to respond to this thread and help me out. @tomcatrr - I did install the MBPMid2010_GPUFix back on 12/15 and I have not had one crash since. Friggin sweet! I think I need to do a couple more photoshop jobs to be 100% sure, but I have done a few jobs with no crashes and also no safari crashes either. So this is really great, thanks again!

tomcatrr

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2020
Update: 1 month and no crashes. Sweeeeeet!! :):):)
Good news!!!

I just bought very cheap, a 15" 2011 MBP, with Gpu problems and I "fixit"!
Strugling to make a USB instalation disk with Sierra, to have sleep/hibernation/brightness working.

Reactions: myke323

myke323

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Good news!!!

I just bought very cheap, a 15" 2011 MBP, with Gpu problems and I "fixit"!
Strugling to make a USB instalation disk with Sierra, to have sleep/hibernation/brightness working.
Good luck! I hope you get it sorted out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.