Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
that sounds about right, i mean with all the problems of 10.2.4 it seems on natural to introduce it asap. I think I may wait and see what happens with other people before i install tho. I guess i'm one fo the few who doesn't have a death threat for 10.2.4

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
10.2.4 didn't do anything bad to my ibook's battery. but updates - bring em on!

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
If 10.2.5 is released in April, I think it's very possible that we will see a 10.2.6 update sometime in the summer. Since no one can say for sure when Panther will be shipping, and most people estimate that it's going to be September, I don't think Apple would go 4-5 months without another 10.2 update. April seems like the right time for another update.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by RBMaraman
If 10.2.5 is released in April, I think it's very possible that we will see a 10.2.6 update sometime in the summer. Since no one can say for sure when Panther will be shipping, and most people estimate that it's going to be September, I don't think Apple would go 4-5 months without another 10.2 update. April seems like the right time for another update.

When was 10.1.5 released? This could given us an indication on how long we'll go between a 10.2.x update to Panther.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by Freg3000
When was 10.1.5 released? This could given us an indication on how long we'll go between a 10.2.x update to Panther.

According to the Apple Knowledge Database, OS X 10.1.5 was release on May 20, 2002. Jaguar OS X 10.2 was announced for pre-order in July and shipped in August.

So, if 10.2.5 comes out in April, 1 month earlier than 10.1.5, and Panther will most likely be shipping 1-2 months later than Jaguar, I think we are seeing more evidence that a 10.2.6 update will be made available.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
10.2.6?

Hmmmm.... I worked at an Apple retail store up until late January, and though we received little information, we did find out quite a bit about OS X and its updates. We were told there would, like 10.1, be five updates to 10.2, what their respective color codes would be, and other such information.

Now, granted, we were told that the final update, 10.2.5, would be coded Orange, and that has obviously changed. But unless Apple is having serious issues with Panther, it is unlikely they would issue a 10.2.6 update. They would be more likely to issue smaller updates for the individual OS technologies (BT, Rendezvous, etc.) in the downtime between 10.2.5 and Panther, than an entire new OS update.

Bet hey, that's just me.

P.S. - Huzzah! Al Gore! Another reason to like Apple!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: 10.2.6?

Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy

P.S. - Huzzah! Al Gore! Another reason to like Apple!

please don't even remotely bring that subject up. the thread on that topic was closed because things got out of hand, and i think we should try and keep this civil, so if you wouldn't mind, don't make comments that tempt the avid republicans to flame you ;)

I am inclined to think that we will see a 10.2.6 if 10.2.5 arrives in early april. there is no law that says they can't do it, and we've been thrown off by this whole /orange/plaid thing.

either way, i am looking forward to this.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I know of one person who is running 10.2.5 (developer version I think). He said that if you have not update to 10.2.4, wait for the 10.2.5 update. He says that it is noticably improved.

I can't speak from person experiece. I am still using OS 9.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
my battery as been doing weird things to me and if its just 10.2.4 then this update will be very needed. then maybe i won't have to send in for a new battery....lets hope!!!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by howard
my battery as been doing weird things to me and if its just 10.2.4 then this update will be very needed. then maybe i won't have to send in for a new battery....lets hope!!!

not to go too much on a tangent, but i have been getting this weird battery thing where if i leave it plugged in, with the battery charged, the battery will slowly drop down to like 98%. if i unplug it and run it to 90% and then recharge it, it goes back to 100% and then starts to drop again over a long period of time. is this the type of battery problem anyone's having in 10.2.4, because it's the only one i have--i still get great battery life, it just kinda annoy's me to have it not stay at 100%. is it just wear on the battery?

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Yeah, early April seems about right for 10.2.5. But, I think that if 10.2.5 comes out in early April that we will see 10.2.6.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Is it just me, or did 10.2.4 take a lot longer than anyone thought to arrive? i seem to remember that. do you guys think we coould be way off on this April date? i mean, if they waited till late april, there probably wouldn't be another update till panther, right?

Anecdoter

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2002

Perhaps Apple had intended only five minor upgrades to 10.2 However, I don't believe they intended all the modem/date/battery/OpenGL issues 10.2.4 has brought forth. Thus, 10.2.5 will most likely be more of an emergency release to fix those issues with some other updates to make it look less obvious.
10.2.6 will then be what 10.2.5 was meant to be - the last update to tie up any loose strings and hopefully optimize performance a little more.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by Shadowfax
not to go too much on a tangent, but i have been getting this weird battery thing where if i leave it plugged in, with the battery charged, the battery will slowly drop down to like 98%. if i unplug it and run it to 90% and then recharge it, it goes back to 100% and then starts to drop again over a long period of time. is this the type of battery problem anyone's having in 10.2.4, because it's the only one i have--i still get great battery life, it just kinda annoy's me to have it not stay at 100%. is it just wear on the battery?

Actually, that is a feature of the battery that is keeping it from ending up like the one on my sister's PowerBook =). The battery will cycle between 95% and 100% while showing "Battery is Charged". This keeps the battery from going through lots of very short charging cycles and prolongs the life of the battery.

By contrast, my sister got my old Rev 1 PowerBook G4 and her battery currently has a maximum of about 30 mins of life in it. So I'll have to get her a new battery soon =(.

The knowledge base article is here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88344

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax

what mine does and what i know a few other peoples do is the battery gets to about 80% down on the ibook and then goes to sleep, and you have to plug it in to wake it up and the battery says its dead then...pretty crazy and it makes me so angry!!

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Is 10.2.4 really draining you batterie? I heart from 2 of my friends that after they installed 10.2.4, their batterie life has gone down by nearly 35 %!
by reinstalling the os, battery life was normal again, with the update, the problem came back.
any ideas?

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Slightly OT reply, but....

Take a look here, http://www.ethan-c-allen.com/xpsp2, for a list of KNOWN fixes to WinXP Service Pack 1 (which contained HUNDREDS of fixes) for the upcoming Service Pack 2. :D :D :D

Also, has anyone noticed that the RAILhead design 10.2.5 6L20 seed (Page 2) happened ages ago, and that their list of fixes is wrong (most are from the initial build, 6L20 contains more fixes and quite a few application updates).

I hope 10.2.5 solves everyones battery issues :)

AppleMatt

Originally posted by AppleMatt
Hopefully 10.2.6 will contain MASSIVE core graphics improvements ;)

AppleMatt

Doubtful. These interim, non-paying updates just seem to fix bug issues while introducing new ones. Apple's saving any significant enhancements for 10.3 so that they can list them as 100+ new features in Jaguar. I'm just hoping that my first boot into 10.3 doesn't have me saying "Gee, I think it feels faster...." - j

forcelite

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2003
its the 6L11 version. Its not even worth getting the leak cause the fully debugged version will be out in a week from apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.