Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jg3

macrumors member
May 3, 2002
Urbana, IL
Originally posted by Nermal
I'm reminded of OS 7 and 8, which skipped straight up to 7.5 and 8.5 without having a .3 or .4 in either case (or a .2 for that matter IIRC).

Ah, but there was an 8.1. :)

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
seems like the monday?tuesday guess was a bit too early :p

if someone then I am waiting for this update as it might solve my problem of getting unexplained major crashes (the grey green thing with "you have to shut down your computer"..)

PLEASE APPLE PLEASE!!

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
First the last version of Mac OS x will be 10.9.x SJ said that Mac OS X will last them 10 years. The new version naming scheme is based on the Unix version naming scheme and the NEXT OS that SJ created.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
OS X Rumored to be called OS XP

What was this discussion about again?
OS X to be renamed??
Why not just call it OS XP? (ducks the flames)
Muhahahaha!

I suppose we're all sick of discussing the dates. rightly so. And as for features, well i guess we can't expect too terribly much.

Maybe something to make our nice flat panel screens touchscreens? (avoids more flames)

Well, it's getting hot in here. I'm going somewhere else. iPods tuesday?

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
Re: OS X Rumored to be called OS XP

Originally posted by jimjiminyjim
What was this discussion about again?
OS X to be renamed??
Why not just call it OS XP? (ducks the flames)

Well, it's getting hot in here. I'm going somewhere else. iPods tuesday?

:D yea, i still am waiting for THE ipods ... THE tuesday ... :p

OS XP? that sux. (win) XP comes from .. mixing 2 smiles: :p and X-( .. so it is about X-p (a vomit-smile). Or what ever it is, it has nothing to with anything X.. just poor windoz guys couldn't invent even the name so they had to copy even that from macs.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
I hate these rumors.

A small voice of reason is recognized among the audiance.

#1: Apple updates their OS every year, no matter what the version number. We went a long time with OS 9 before OS X became increasingly popular. Then again, we went three years for non-clone Macs to start booting from System 1.x to System 2.x (Jan. 1984 to March 1987). There was also a System 1.1 update in between.

#2: The previously suggested update scheme for Mac X 10.2.6 does not make sense. (You know who you are...) Yes, it would be a coincidence, but it does not mean there will be a trend. IF 10.2.6 were to debut, what happens at 10.5.9 to 10.6? Is that a minor update to the OS or a major one? Does the x.x.1 make a big difference in the chance of an operating system? What happens at the very end of the 10.6.x series? Does it go to 10.6.10?

As far as memory serves, Apple has not once publicized a version of their OS with a two-digit sub-subversion. And even if there was, why not incorporate that trend years ago with System 1, or even with the initial Mac X 10.0.0?

My opinion about this X scheme, inspired by a few other board members, is "X" is a generalization, a symbol. In all honesty, "XI" does not either look or sound like a catchy symbol.

Ocelot

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2003
Canada
Murphys law

I swear that everytime macrumors post information about an update its delayed by two weeks.

I can almost guarantee that this update was postponed due to the recent exploit/update to Samba yesterday (based purely on conjecture).

Apple almost always seems to release updates on Friday-Thursday nights- if my memory serves me correctly... of course maybe that's my imagination..

I'm willing to bet we shall see 10.2.5 next Thursday or Friday!

AND If it happens to show up in software update later tonight- I wont complain

-Ry

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Some lawmakers totally suck...

Then, again, Apple seems to plan the least expected occassion for an event or an update. When a majority of the people think this update will be out at some date A, Apple plans it for date B. This could be by coincidence, or it could be not.

Above all else, though, whether or not Murphy's law is in effect, one effectiveness for Apple's strategy is playing mind games with both its customers and Microsoft's customers. Microsoft customers can't help but stare at Apple's products (iPod, iMac G4, Powerbook), and Apple customers can't help but wonder when a new product or update will be available.

The other effectiveness is both sides will give in. :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by jg3
Ah, but there was an 8.1. :)

I was just kinda hoping that we'd go straight from 10.2 to 10.5, not that there's any functional difference between them!

Yes I know there was an 8.1, I just upgraded from 8.1 to 10.2.1 about 2 months ago, of course it involved a new computer :)

JJTiger1

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
North America
Originally posted by Shadowfax
what's wrong with OS XI? it's less confusing than X, if not as cool-looking.

... if you look at XI upside down, it becomes IX.
... OS 9 exists. :D
-
Ancient OS Installer CD's include 7.6 and 8.6. :eek:

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
If the X doesn't mean 10, we ought to get rid of it.

We should stop saying "MacOS X 10.2.5", etc. We should either say "MacOS X.2.5" or "MacOS 10.2.5", but not both. Otherwise there are two 10s in there.

There is no rhyme or reason to Apple's version numbers, nor anyone else's. There were Finder versions, but the first version you see labelled a "System" was "System 6". (Was the name inspired by the name of an older IBM system?) There were only a few releases of System 6 before System 7 came along. Then there came 7.0.1, various 7.1's, various 7.5's, and 7.6. When the clones appeared, the "System" disappeared, and it became "MacOS 7.6". What would have been 7.7 became 8.0 to stiff the cloners; then came 8.1, 8.5, 8.6, 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2. There is little difference between 7.6 and 8.0; 9.0 has a lot of changes.

Apple has said repeatedly that the X means "10". It certainly does not mean "Experimental", nor is it a wildcard ("any MacOS").

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Think Panther, Think September... So yea 10.2.5 will no doubt be available before then.

...edit...

read that last post way too fast... 10.2.6 hmm I dunno I guess we could see one more release before then.

...edit...

D

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
10.2.5 CD on Apple Website

MacCentral just posted:

"Apple on Thursday added a new product to its online store for customers running Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar: The Mac OS X 10.2.5 Update CD. Information posted to Apple's Web site gives details on what will be fixed in the as yet unreleased Mac OS X 10.2.5 update.

According to Apple, the update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for the following applications, utilities, services and technologies: Address Book, AirPort, AppleScript, Bluetooth, Classic compatibility, Disk Copy, Disk Utility, Finder, Help Viewer, iChat, Image Capture, IP Firewall, Kerberos, Mail, OpenGL, Print Center, Rendezvous and Sherlock.

The update also includes improvements to AFP, Web services, dial up connections over PPP and Windows file services, as well as audio, disc recording, graphics, and printing improvements and USB, FireWire and SCSI device compatibility enhancements.

The update also provides updated security services and includes the latest Security Updates.

The update CD could be beneficial in labs or other environments where many computers are being used that would make downloading the often large updates from Apple a hassle. The Update CD will install on Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.2.4.

The cost of the CD is US$19.95 and has an estimated ship time of 1-2 days from the online Apple Store. More information can be found in the Apple Software section of Apple's online store."

Can't wait to give it a whirl!

Hickman

JJTiger1

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
North America
Re: 10.2.5 CD on Apple Website

Originally posted by Brian Hickman
MacCentral just posted:

"Apple on Thursday added a new product to its online store for customers running Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar: The Mac OS X 10.2.5 Update CD. Information posted to Apple's Web site gives details on what will be fixed in the as yet unreleased Mac OS X 10.2.5 update.

[snip]

Can't wait to give it a whirl!

Hickman

I ordered my copy of the CD just a moment ago. Total cost including shipping and sales tax is just a few cents more than $25. :)

I hate long downloads too.
... I hope that 10.2.5 is not as pokey as the previous versions.

JJTiger1

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
North America
Re: Re: 10.2.5 CD on Apple Website

Originally posted by JJTiger1
I ordered my copy of the CD just a moment ago. Total cost including shipping and sales tax is just a few cents more than $25. :)

I hate long downloads too.
... I hope that 10.2.5 is not as pokey as the previous versions.

-----
I just got an email response from Apple that my 10.2.5 CD is being shipped !!!

$25.80 total. Ground Shipping. It could be in my greasy hands Monday. :D

I will review the tracking data if/when I get antsy.
-
JJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.