Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ahmed7900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
Hello, I recently purchased an old Macbook Pro 2014. Then I had to factory reset the computer because I don't want the data of previous owner. After wiping out the hard disk, I tried to reinstall the os from recovery mode over the internet. But I couldn't do that because it gave the error "the item is temporarily unavailable", which makes sense because it's the older version. After that I tried to install it through bootable usb. But after following a youtube tutorial, it didn't work for me. Now I have this blinking folder with question mark on it on startup. Neither of the key combinations work now. I tried command+shift+r, option/alt for selecting disk startup and others too, and none of them worked. Now, does anyone know how do I fix it? It has become a worthless piece for me now. Any help would be appreciated about how do i get out of this blinking icon into recovery mode.
Cheers!
1647944942061-2065316141.jpg

Ahmed7900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
How did you perform the disk erasure?
I formatted the hard drive right after bringing the computer home using the recovery mode.

What did you do, exactly?
Ok, so right before this problem, the mac was doing fine. Until i formatted the hard disk and tried to reinstall os. The os which was running before that was mac os x yosemite. But i couldn't reinstall it from Internet recovery mode because it was saying that "this item is temporarumy unavailable". I checked this issue on youtube and the only solution I found was reinstalling the os by bootable usb. I followed a tutorial of creating the bootable usb in a windows machine using transmac and i don't currently have any other mac machine. In that tutorial, i made the usb bootable, plugged it in mac, restored the os file to the internal hard drive, made partitions of the USB during that, but then that didn't work out for me. I would have provide you that tutorial link but now i can't seem to find that video. After the failure i then again formatted the hard drive and restarted the machine. After the restart, it just had blank white screen for a couple of seconds and then that blinking folder shows up indicating that now no os has been found on your machine. Since that no key combinations are working and i cant find any solution.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2022
How did you perform the disk erasure?

What did you do, exactly?
It should work to hold option at startup chime and select your bootable USB as the drive to boot from. I know it works on my 2003 Power Mac and yours is 2014 so I thought it would work but maybe not. Try using a USB drive that requires a higher power level. Some Macs don't supply full USB power in the boot menu.

(edit) I meant to reply to post #1, there's something wrong with the scroll wheel on my PC mouse connected to a Mac so it scrolled down the page without me noticing and I clicked the wrong reply button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.