Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badgersinsuits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2019
My MacBook has been broken for years and I finally fixed it but now with no time machine backup and a broken HDD that had all the original files on it I'm stuck with a new SSD in it and the original download disks but can't get anywhere with it and can't find any videos, if someone could help me I'd be really grateful

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You won't be able to install anything on a new SSD, until you erase the SSD first.
I'm assuming that your "original download disk" is Snow Leopard (last OS X version on a DVD disk)
So, steps are:
Boot to your installer disk.
Open Disk Utility, and erase the new SSD. You can name it something memorable, like MacTheKraken :D
After you have erased the SSD, Quit Disk Utility, and continue with the OS X install, using your newly erased SSD as the destination.
That will give you your OS X system, and you can go on from there.

You have no backup of any files or pictures/music, so if the HDD is dead, there's not much more you can do, except go through the new user setup, and go ahead to use the system that you install from the DVD.

You could help by telling us which MacBook you have. For example, you can search for a site that will decode your MacBook's serial number, which will tell you exactly what model it is. From that, we can tell you what OS X version you COULD upgrade to. An older MacBook from 2006 might be limited to Snow Leopard as a maximum system.

Badgersinsuits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2019
Haha kraken ... I like that ?. Thanks so much for helping me really means a lot, Yeah so I had done that already, did it again just there but on startup it says the same thing, Mac OS X can't be installed , if you want to restore your system from a time machine backup click restore from backup (other option is to restart). It doesn't seem to have an option to install the os or even choose a destination drive ?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can you tell us what exact model of MacBook you have, and also what version of OS X are you trying to install?
What is the error message that you get when you try to install from your current setup?
The exact wording sometimes makes a difference.

Badgersinsuits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2019
It's a MacBook core 2 duo 13 inch 2009 model, version of is is Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D2162)

Wording on error: "if you want to restore your system from a time machine backup click restore from backup (other option is to restart)."

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Ah - OK, that might be the problem. The DVD that you report, 10.6.3(10D2162) actually shipped with a 2010 MacBook. If you have a 2009, then it might not install, as it's for a newer MacBook, and may boot, but won't actually install on a 2009 MacBook.
That DVD is definitely for the 2010 MacBook. If you have verified that you have a 2009 MacBook, which is a model MacBook6,1 - and not a 2010 (model MacBook7,1) then you need to find the correct Snow Leopard installer. The Macs sold during that time had various versions of the Snow Leopard installer, which won't work on other Macs. If you actually have a 2009 MacBook, you would be OK with the commercial Snow Leopard installer, as long as it is the last version OS X 10.6.3 (build number 10D575 on my copy, but that build number might vary by one or two). The commercial version 10.6.3 does not seem to be sold by Apple now (I think), and is relatively easy to download as a disk image from a variety of sites.

Badgersinsuits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2019
Thank you so much I had this disk in my house from when we bought this MacBook along with a MacBook Pro a few years ago, so maybe it's originally from that one or something ? very strange that I even have this disk here haha. I'll try and sort the problem soon and let you know how it goes ?

Badgersinsuits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2019
With your help I've since been able to get the laptop working with snow leopard thank you so much I had my head absolutely wrecked with this for a few weeks now ? not all heros wear capes ?

Reactions: DeltaMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.