Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SweeneyD24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Mauritius
Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a situation right now.
Basically I was just trying to re-install Mavericks on my MBP 13" Early 2011 because I was constantly getting the spinning rainbow wheel for no reason. I thought re-installing Mavericks would whip out any errors or corrupted files on causing this.

I don't have a backup!

I downloaded the installer from AppStore, and run it. After some time i got the error message:

0-waPjVotQ-maccc-s-.png

1. I tried to re-install the OS but it failed every time.
2. I tried to repair the HDD via Disk Utility but it failed as well.
3. I tried to boot up in recovery mode but it went straight to the installer window prompting me to install the OS.

I'm basically stuck in some kind of loop here.

I'm not even able to skip the installer window and boot the machine to backup my files.

Is my HDD in a bad shape?!..and most importantly, will I be able to backup my files!?

My thought was to remove the HDD, connect it to my HDD enclosure and clone it to a new one. Then, insert it in my MBP and let the installer do it's thing.

Has anyone came across this issue? Any advice!?

Thnx!

EDITED: I was wondering, is it possible to connect the new HDD to another Mac, download the OS X Installer from the Mac and install the OS X on the new HDD via usb??

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,625
Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Before doing ANY trial-and-error regarding any installation of whatever: BACKUP YOUR HDD ASAP!!! Then you should check your HDD for error's and best would be an erase of the HDD and clean install of Mavericks. Perhaps this is the moment to switch to a SSD?

SweeneyD24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Mauritius
Before doing ANY trial-and-error regarding any installation of whatever: BACKUP YOUR HDD ASAP!!! Then you should check your HDD for error's and best would be an erase of the HDD and clean install of Mavericks. Perhaps this is the moment to switch to a SSD?

Right! I just hope that i'm not having bad sectors and be able to clone it to a new HDD.

Just ordered a new HDD.

Thnx for the reply!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
May be stop doing anything on that HDD now. You don't want to destroy the data.

Get a new HDD (SSD even better), do a clean installation.

And then access the old HDD via a USB adapter to recovery as much as possible.

SweeneyD24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Mauritius
May be stop doing anything on that HDD now. You don't want to destroy the data.

Get a new HDD (SSD even better), do a clean installation.

And then access the old HDD via a USB adapter to recovery as much as possible.

Hmm..ok! You must be right! Im gonna try this and let you guys know.

Thnx again for the advice!

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Are you sure that's Mavericks (10.9)? It looks like Snow Leopard (10.6) - here's why: the buttons are rounded, not square, and Mavericks no longer calls OS X "Mac OS X" - only "OS X".

SweeneyD24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Mauritius
Are you sure that's Mavericks (10.9)? It looks like Snow Leopard (10.6) - here's why: the buttons are rounded, not square, and Mavericks no longer calls OS X "Mac OS X" - only "OS X".

Yes, the MBP came with Lion. I updated to Mavericks when it was released.

Just to be clear, the photo above is not actually mine..but that's the exact same error message I got!

Thnx for the concern! Appreciate it!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It may not have been a buggy or corrupted os but a hardware failure so as others stated back up your data. Sounds like between the problems you were incurring and now cannot upgrade, it is hardware.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a situation right now.
Basically I was just trying to re-install Mavericks on my MBP 13" Early 2011

Boot up while holding down Command-Option-R (if outside USA your Option key may only be labeled Alt). That will force Internet Recovery (won't use the recovery partition on the hard drive).

Go into Disk Utility. Select the hard drive (should be the top item), click the Info button. Look for S.M.A.R.T. Status. If it's anything other than Verified, you do have a failing disk.

If it's Verified, you can try erasing the drive from there - then back out to the prior menu and Reinstall OS X from there. It'll put Lion back on, just like originally out of the box. Then you can install Mavericks from there.

SweeneyD24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Mauritius
Boot up while holding down Command-Option-R (if outside USA your Option key may only be labeled Alt). That will force Internet Recovery (won't use the recovery partition on the hard drive).

Go into Disk Utility. Select the hard drive (should be the top item), click the Info button. Look for S.M.A.R.T. Status. If it's anything other than Verified, you do have a failing disk.

If it's Verified, you can try erasing the drive from there - then back out to the prior menu and Reinstall OS X from there. It'll put Lion back on, just like originally out of the box. Then you can install Mavericks from there.

I'm definitely gonna try this tonight!
Thing is, I wanna try to backup the HDD first if possible!

Anyway, Thanks for the crystal clear instructions!
I'll give it a try and let you guys know what's happening!

EDITED: I tried what you said and the S.M.A.R.T. Status turned out to be Verified. So I naturally removed the HDD and connected it to another Mac to perform a backup but the HDD didn't appear in Finder. I tried with another HDD and it worked.
Also, when performing CMD+ALT+R I got the option to Install A Fresh Copy Of Lion. If I go ahead and install a fresh copy, will that erase all the files on the HDD!?

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I'm definitely gonna try this tonight!
Thing is, I wanna try to backup the HDD first if possible!

Anyway, Thanks for the crystal clear instructions!
I'll give it a try and let you guys know what's happening!

EDITED: I tried what you said and the S.M.A.R.T. Status turned out to be Verified. So I naturally removed the HDD and connected it to another Mac to perform a backup but the HDD didn't appear in Finder. I tried with another HDD and it worked.
Also, when performing CMD+ALT+R I got the option to Install A Fresh Copy Of Lion. If I go ahead and install a fresh copy, will that erase all the files on the HDD!?

Don't install / modify anything on this HDD before you make a decent back-up! How did you connect this HDD to the other Mac?

SweeneyD24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Mauritius
Don't install / modify anything on this HDD before you make a decent back-up! How did you connect this HDD to the other Mac?

Ok, the mbp is up and running fine.

So here's what I did:

1. Connect the new HDD through an enclosure to the mac.

2. Switch on the mbp and launch the OS X Installer.

3. Choose the new HDD as destination disk and let the installer install OS X on the new HDD.

4. Swap the 2 HDDs once installation is done and mbp has restarted. Then proceed with set up of account.

It was a rather simple task from the beginning, but i guess i was more worried about losing the mbp than anything.

Anyway, thank you guys again for the replies!

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Were you able to recover any data from the original HD?

Ok, the mbp is up and running fine.

So here's what I did:

1. Connect the new HDD through an enclosure to the mac.

2. Switch on the mbp and launch the OS X Installer.

3. Choose the new HDD as destination disk and let the installer install OS X on the new HDD.

4. Swap the 2 HDDs once installation is done and mbp has restarted. Then proceed with set up of account.

It was a rather simple task from the beginning, but i guess i was more worried about losing the mbp than anything.

Anyway, thank you guys again for the replies!

SweeneyD24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Mauritius
Were you able to recover any data from the original HD?

As surprising as it seems, yes. I don't know how or why. The first time i connected it to another MBP via an enclosure, it couldn't find the HDD. The second time i plugged it to the first MBP via another enclosure, i was able to transfer pretty much all my files to the new HDD.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
As surprising as it seems, yes. I don't know how or why. The first time i connected it to another MBP via an enclosure, it couldn't find the HDD. The second time i plugged it to the first MBP via another enclosure, i was able to transfer pretty much all my files to the new HDD.

Good for you, congrats!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.