Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmandarin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Has Apple pulled the plug on Leopard's Software Update? It is simply stuck at "Checking for new software". I manually updated to 10.5.8 but that didn't help either. The PPCStore is also stuck at "Loading..." (I'm not sure if this is related). Sorry if this answer has been answered already, but I did try looking for an answer before posting this.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
"PPCStore" is some third-party software, part of "LeopardRebirth", I think.
That's a theme addition for PPC Leopard, most recently to make the system look similar to macOS Sierra, but is not Apple-supported, nor is it a part of Apple's software.
I do have that installed on an eMac, running Leopard, of course.

Tried Apple's Software Update, which checked for software, finding no updates (but it worked)
Also launched my copy of PPCStore, which opened up, showing apps that I could download - so that appears to be working, too.
Is your internet connection working on your PPC Mac? (Can you open Safari, or TenFourFox, and open web pages without any problems? I would suggest a page that would update with today's news, so you know that it is loading a page, and not just showing old information, without actually loading a page)

mrmandarin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
"PPCStore" is some third-party software, part of "LeopardRebirth", I think.
That's a theme addition for PPC Leopard, most recently to make the system look similar to macOS Sierra, but is not Apple-supported, nor is it a part of Apple's software.
I do have that installed on an eMac, running Leopard, of course.

Tried Apple's Software Update, which checked for software, finding no updates (but it worked)
Also launched my copy of PPCStore, which opened up, showing apps that I could download - so that appears to be working, too.
Is your internet connection working on your PPC Mac? (Can you open Safari, or TenFourFox, and open web pages without any problems? I would suggest a page that would update with today's news, so you know that it is loading a page, and not just showing old information, without actually loading a page)

I forgot to mention that safari (and leopard webkit for that matter) fails to load pages. Tenfourfox works fine though. I've tried resetting the PRAM and verifying and repairing disk permissions, but to no avail.

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
Smells like there's something wrong with your system frameworks or in your network config (the former is more likely given tenfourfox can load pages).

Need more info, but I'd suggest you try reinstalling the 10.5.8 combo update (do it while booted from another volume than the current one if at all possible).

Reactions: z970

mrmandarin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Smells like there's something wrong with your system frameworks or in your network config (the former is more likely given tenfourfox can load pages).

Need more info, but I'd suggest you try reinstalling the 10.5.8 combo update (do it while booted from another volume than the current one if at all possible).

I've tried using wifi and ethernet, neither makes a difference. I just reinstalled leopard with Macintosh Garden's 10.5.4 install image. Same stuff, Safari just won't load pages and software update is stuck. This is on a 12 inch powerbook g4 1.5 ghz model. I'll try installing the 10.5.8 combo update as you recommended. Thanks!

Dandalo Gabriell

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2020
São Paulo
Thank you, Mandarin! I had the same problem, but your solution, unfortunately, didn't help me. The solution to the same problem was disabling the ivp6 option, in the network control panel for the ethernet cable, in the advanced section. After this everything works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.