Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BradClarke

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
Weird - My macmini1,1 w/T7200 tells me that software is up to date. Need to find the .dmg file and try that.

Update: DMG doesn't work either. Doesn't look like it is a mini specific issue. Says "Mac OS X Update can't be installed on this disk. An error occurred while evaluating JavaScript for the package." Strange as this is a fresh install of Lion as of last week.

Run

sudo rm /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist

Then check for software update, this fixes it. I had the same problem nothing was showing up under software update earlier for me, but was showing up all all my other macs. It was also giving me problems every since I installed it with installing any application that wasn't though the app store, and was giving that java error. After I ran that it seemed to fix everything.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-17 at 2.10.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-17 at 2.10.12 AM.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 347

optimistique1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009
I just managed to get DP1 installed on my iMac Core Duo by deleting the file in /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.

I just wanted to clairfy, does this hack still work on DP2 or not?

I don't want to risk upgrading to DP2 and then it doesn't work.

I get the feeling that the RETAIL (GM) version of LION is not going to work on CD machines so I am giving up on this idea as there seems to be no joy with any GM Installs on a CD machine yet.:mad:

Johnnybegoode

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Carlisle, Cumbria, UK
Definitive answer?

Just ordered refurb i7 3.4GHz iMac 27" - can't wait

Intend to doctor my current early-2006 Mini Core Duo 1.66 by fitting a C2D chip (already done 2GB RAM and 1TB HDD) with the hope that it will run Lion so I can install Lion Server and have a tinker

Seen lots of 'yes you can' / 'no you can't' feedback through this forum - is there a definitive answer on whether the .plist mod works on the retail version of Lion? Not keen on wasting £100 on a C2D chip for nothing...

If it doesn't, is there an alternative hack to get it installed?

I've already got a .dmg ready to go, and successfully installed on an external HDD through my wife's C2D Macbook, but it obviously won't boot on the Mini as I've not changed the chip yet.

Look forward to hearing!

thanks

Johnnybegoode

SummerSoFar

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2011
Seen lots of 'yes you can' / 'no you can't' feedback through this forum - is there a definitive answer on whether the .plist mod works on the retail version of Lion? Not keen on wasting £100 on a C2D chip for nothing...

This thread will be of interest to you, which provides a solution that does not require the install to occur first on a drive attached to a compatible Mac:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=26062&start=0

Even more interesting is that this would also imply that a OS upgrade from Snow Leopard would also be feasable via this method.

Finally, what I really want to know is whether or not Lion works on a Core Solo/Duo Mac that has been booted in 32-bit mode (via holding keys '3' and '2' at startup).

There is one report that it works, but I would like to hear that positive confirmation again from some other source....

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
Just ordered refurb i7 3.4GHz iMac 27" - can't wait

Intend to doctor my current early-2006 Mini Core Duo 1.66 by fitting a C2D chip (already done 2GB RAM and 1TB HDD) with the hope that it will run Lion so I can install Lion Server and have a tinker

If it doesn't, is there an alternative hack to get it installed?

I've already got a .dmg ready to go, and successfully installed on an external HDD through my wife's C2D Macbook, but it obviously won't boot on the Mini as I've not changed the chip yet.

Look forward to hearing!

thanks

Johnnybegoode

The .plist mod after installing lion on a supported machine and cloning the drive works. This worked perfectly for me and has continued to work with updates.

Johnnybegoode

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Carlisle, Cumbria, UK
So far so good....

Just a quick thanks for help on here
I've just installed a T7200 into my Mac Mini 1,1, booted from a Lion image on an external HDD (with platformsupport.plist removed) and it's worked fine!

Only got to wipe the internal HDD and disk-utility over the external drive to get Lion running natively so I can install Server and tinker

Thanks for the definitive answer - didn't want to waste my time or money, and I haven't (yet!)

Lion Server here I come!

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
Only got to wipe the internal HDD and disk-utility over the external drive to get Lion running natively so I can install Server and tinker

FYI - I used SuperDuper! to perform the clone from external to internal. I've never tried that with Disk Utility so if you run into any issues, give SuperDuper a try. It's very simple and does all the work for you.

schardt312

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
Any update?

Now that Lion is officially out, I would really, really, REALLY love to run on my Core Duo MBP from late 2006.

Any advice? Or did I miss the boat by not being a developer?

gvollant

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
I had a mac mini, upgraded from core duo to core 2 duo

I installed 10.7.0 with tips here, then upgrade to 10.7.1 somes week ago
yesterday upgraded to 10.7.2 and mac mini doesn't start lion

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Now that Lion is officially out, I would really, really, REALLY love to run on my Core Duo MBP from late 2006.

Any advice? Or did I miss the boat by not being a developer?

You can only run DP1 since the CD chip on MBPs is soldered on. Only Mac Minis and iMacs have the option of cpu upgrades on the Core Duo models.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
Fellow 1.66 2gb ram Mini owners-

I just honestly haven't spent enough time until it seems to have a simple project since I have a UMBP on Lion from app store, but I would certainly love to install it on my Mini.

Moreover- I had thought from a while back that the main issue was that the early '06 Minis don't have 64bit that was needed for Lion which I may be totally wrong with that.

BurningSnowman

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I had a mac mini, upgraded from core duo to core 2 duo

I installed 10.7.0 with tips here, then upgrade to 10.7.1 somes week ago
yesterday upgraded to 10.7.2 and mac mini doesn't start lion
Have just resolved this:

Stealing the principle from this post on a French forum it wasn't too hard to devise a way that does not require you to have another Mac, namely:

1. Boot to your OS X Install DVD (hold down 'C' at boot).
  2. Choose a language and then select Terminal from the menu.
  3. Navigate with 'cd' to (might vary depending on your partition name) /Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices
  4. Carefully make a backup copy of PlatformSupport.plist with 'cp' e.g. "cp PlatformSupport.plist PlatformSupport.plist.bak" - you have root privileges and want insurance against messing this up.
  5. Use the very limited bash commands at your disposal to add "<string>Mac-F4208EC8</string>" (this is for most 2006 Mac Minis - you'll need a different string for other systems) in the right place, e.g. after the other strings but before the final gubbins. I used 'sed' to delete all the last closing tags, then concatenated the new string onto the end of the file (with >>) and put the closing tags back in the same way. Whitespace/indentation doesn't matter.
  6. Exit the installer and choose your normal partition as the boot disk.

I guess there must be a nicer way to do (5) but this worked.

Hope this saves someone some time. I needlessly did a Time Machine restore and then did the system-breaking update again before realising it was just a stupid text file. Thanks Apple!

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Moreover- I had thought from a while back that the main issue was that the early '06 Minis don't have 64bit that was needed for Lion which I may be totally wrong with that.

They do, you need at least a Core 2 Duo to run Lion (from DP1 onwards I believe). These hacks are for getting Lion to run on a Core 2 Duo upgraded 2006 mini.

SummerSoFar

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2011
They do, you need at least a Core 2 Duo to run Lion (from DP1 onwards I believe). These hacks are for getting Lion to run on a Core 2 Duo upgraded 2006 mini.

Can someone out there please confirm or deny that Lion can be forcibly booted into 32-bit mode at startup?

If it can, then there is a good amount of hope that the CoreSolo and Duo machines will still work.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Can someone out there please confirm or deny that Lion can be forcibly booted into 32-bit mode at startup?

If it can, then there is a good amount of hope that the CoreSolo and Duo machines will still work.

It cannot boot on a 32-bit only Mac. The Mac must be a 64-bit machine.

downwind

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011

Holding down 3+2 on boot on my MacBook Pro starts the Lion kernel in 32 bit mode according to system info and the machine runs just fine. Not sure if that means the 32 bit kernel can somehow run user mode processes in 64-bit mode or not, I have no clue how to check if the running processes are 32- or 64-bit.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

That's probably not right. Machines that boot into 32 bit KERNEL are still able to run 64 bit apps, And I believe that some machines are unable to boot into 64 bit kernel, even running Lion.

The kernel doesn't matter, you need 64 bit CPU to run the 64 bit version of the OS. If Apple didn't include the 32 bit code, the 32 bit machines won't be able to run Lion.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Does 10.7.2 combo brakes MacMini 1.1 & Lion ?
You'll need to backup before installing, and then replace your Platformsupport.plist file after installing, and before restarting. Don't use software update but instead download the update from the web and install it manually.

Impreza31

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Hi All,

After almost buying a copy of Lion I realised I can't run it as I have a 2006 Intel Core Duo MacBook.

Can someone confirm if there is a way around running Lion, and if so how easy is it to do? I have access to a 'copy' I can use to try, but I'm not wasting £21.00 on official software until I know for sure I can upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Hi All,

After almost buying a copy of Lion I realised I can't run it as I have a 2006 Intel Core Duo MacBook.

Can someone confirm if there is a way around running Lion, and if so how easy is it to do? I have access to a 'copy' I can use to try, but I'm not wasting £21.00 on official software until I know for sure I can upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

No, you can't run it. Core Solo/Duo minis upgraded with Core 2 Duos can after some hacking, but since your processor can't be replaced you're stuck on Snow Leopard indefinitely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.