Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kumarngrjn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
I use a 2008 Macbook white .
core 2 duo 120gb hdd 4gb ram(667 mhz ddr 2) .

I tried installing os x lion in my macbook white but faced the same problems everytime i installed it.At the end of the screen "preparing to install mac os x on the disk " it says error .

the installer stops in the middle with time increasing and then moves slowly and then again speeds up in the end and hangs and shows the following error

" an error occured while preparing the installation .Try running this application again.If the problem persisits,use Startup Disk to restart from your os x install dvd".

when i tried running start up disk as install dvd it did not accept and showed error.I tried the install about 5 times .

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Format your drive (Mac OS Journaled) using Disk Utility with a startup disk. I recommend you partition and install Snow Leopard on one drive with Lion on another.

ghostlines

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Amsterdam
I have the same problem, formatted the partition to Mac OS Journalled but still the same installation error. Really strange, any other tips?:confused:

mrscholar

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
Same problem here

Same problem. Was running developer preview 1, upgrading to 2... same error :(

Other than clean install, any thoughts?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
are u using one encrypted partition on your hdd? i had the same issue until i waited 5 hours for the encryption to be turned off and booted the new lion preview on start up. after this it worked just fine and upgraded without a clean install

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
Hi,
I'm having problems installing Lion Preview 2. I have Lion 1 installed on a partition drive and I did the update from software update. I get all the way through and went it asks me to hit the restart...I get this message

An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running it application again. If the problem persist, use Startup Disk to restart your computer from the Mac OS X install DVD.

I've re-did this at least 6 times and I keep getting the same message. Can someone please try and help me out to figure out, on why this won't install?

I rebooted with the startup disc, held option and picked the Mac install DVD. I went into Disk Utilities at top, but I didn't find my partition that I did for lion. I did the Macintosh HD, that was the only one it would let me verify, that did not have any errors on it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, jerry

mrscholar

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
Looks like I found a work around. So I only had lion1 installed and didn't want to take the chance of formatting it and finding I couldn't install lion2. So I partitioned my HD and was able to install lion2 into the second partition w/ no problems. Then I was able to transfer all my lion1 settings in the first partition over to the lion2 partition. I'm doing that now. Once that's done, I'll delete the lion1 partition and adjust the lion2 partition to take up the entire HD. Terrible problem, but at least I didn't have to reinstall everything piece by piece.

Causes (theories):
1) I had my disk encrypted.
2) I was running Mcafee Anti virus
3) Modified dropbox

Not sure if any one of these things could have caused or contributed to the install errors. But there you have it. Hope others can add.

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
Looks like I found a work around. So I only had lion1 installed and didn't want to take the chance of formatting it and finding I couldn't install lion2. So I partitioned my HD and was able to install lion2 into the second partition w/ no problems. Then I was able to transfer all my lion1 settings in the first partition over to the lion2 partition. I'm doing that now. Once that's done, I'll delete the lion1 partition and adjust the lion2 partition to take up the entire HD. Terrible problem, but at least I didn't have to reinstall everything piece by piece.

Causes (theories):
1) I had my disk encrypted.
2) I was running Mcafee Anti virus
3) Modified dropbox

Not sure if any one of these things could have caused or contributed to the install errors. But there you have it. Hope others can add.

Hi,
If I do this, I'm not sure how to transfer all my Lion 1 settings over to Lion 2 on the other partition? Any help would be appreciated?
Thanks, Jerry

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Hi,
If I do this, I'm not sure how to transfer all my Lion 1 settings over to Lion 2 on the other partition? Any help would be appreciated?
Thanks, Jerry

lion will ask u once its installed if u want to move your settings and everything from a different hdd or partition over

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
lion will ask u once its installed if u want to move your settings and everything from a different hdd or partition over

Hi,

I installed it on another partition drive, then deleted my other drive. It seems to be working fine....TY
Question...My original hdd says max 87 gb and the one I partitioned says 50. My hdd is 250. I can't seem to make the default hdd bigger to take up the rest of the space. I have around 200 gb. Can't make the default any bigger then 87,is there a way to do this?

Thanks, Jerry

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
I am having the same problem. I partitioned my hard drive so I would have 130GBs just for Lion. When I tried to install I get the error above. I even tired restarting Mac from Snow Leopard disk but still nothing. I want to note that Lion Preview 2 is my first Lion install so not sure if I need preview 1.

liquid stereo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
Saint Paul
After 3 hours of downloading 10.7 from the App Store this is what I get:
An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.

What should I do? Please don't say anything about erasing a hard drive.

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
After 3 hours of downloading 10.7 from the App Store this is what I get:
An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.

What should I do? Please don't say anything about erasing a hard drive.

I got the same error. I have a late 2008 Macbook pro (2.4GHz C2D). I am wondering if there is a fix, or if many others have this error.

I plan on reinstalling Snow Leopard, then trying to upgrade again. I will be totaly pissed if the same thing happens.

Getbusyliving

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I'm getting the same error message as you guys, 2009 MacBook Pro. I've tried installing it about 30 times, nothing works.

PC-Phantom419

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
Solved!

In case no-one ever found the solution, HERE IT IS:

1. Go to disk utility
2. Make 2 even partitions w/GUID & Journaling (standard)
3. Install on "Untitled 2" or w/e 2 was named
4. say WOWWW at the end when it works
5. once you see your desktop, delete untitled 1, extend untitled 2 and rename (or dont)
6. plz repost this on other sites!!! so other people wont lose hours of their life on this BS.

THX

Mike

Reactions: Jijugs

ujjalsheikh

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2016
Solved!

In case no-one ever found the solution, HERE IT IS:

1. Go to disk utility
2. Make 2 even partitions w/GUID & Journaling (standard)
3. Install on "Untitled 2" or w/e 2 was named
4. say WOWWW at the end when it works
5. once you see your desktop, delete untitled 1, extend untitled 2 and rename (or dont)
6. plz repost this on other sites!!! so other people wont lose hours of their life on this BS.

THX

Mike

Mike, you are a savior. This worked perfectly. Had pretty much run out of options with several attempts and hours of trying.

Thanks.
Ujjal

Reactions: Jijugs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.