Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Heh. Well, it looks like my brother is getting a Mac mini for christmas. (he's stuborn as hell I can't believe I switched him :D) So, I get the advantage of putting all his junk on it, including music, etc. He fricken' loves myspace. Everytime he tries to go there, it either freezes up Safari and FireFox or it says it needs an unknown plugin. WTF?

How do I get MySpace working - oh, and it's the profiles w/ music and videos, etc that don't work.

Thanks,
lilstewart92

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
All of my browsers regularly freeze on MySpace. I regularly get a "playlist not valid" or some error like that because apparently the WMP 10 has a different format and since WMP9 for Mac was only available months after WMP10 for Windows, it doesn't know anything about the other. :rolleyes: I suppose we should be thankful that we have WMP9 at all.

Anyway, from my experience you can't get things to work unless you use Windows. Apparently, Tom, the main person in charge uses a PowerBook to work on the site but everything is running on Windows NT 4. At least, I see the error messages for NT 4 once a month.

litosclone

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2003
City of the Crosses
I trick my browser by creating another tab while a myspace page is loading. Once the page is loaded, I tab back to their page; I can sometimes get to that persons page. I have also found my browsers crashes more on pages customized with Thomas editor.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
On a fully updated install of 10.4.3 on my latest rev iBook, I have never seen myspace freeze. I was going to use firefox until I found out that when I visited myspace in firefox CPU usage spiked. For some reason it doesn't do that in safari, so until that changes, I'm staying with safari.

But the point of all this was, I have no problems at all on safari.

I do not have WMP installed, therefore I get that plugin not found message, I just hit cancel, never once has myspace frozen on me.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
apunkrockmonk said:
On a fully updated install of 10.4.3 on my latest rev iBook, I have never seen myspace freeze. I was going to use firefox until I found out that when I visited myspace in firefox CPU usage spiked. For some reason it doesn't do that in safari, so until that changes, I'm staying with safari.

But the point of all this was, I have no problems at all on safari.

I do not have WMP installed, therefore I get that plugin not found message, I just hit cancel, never once has myspace frozen on me.

That's probably why it's not frozen on you. The lack of the WMP plug-in doesn't cause nearly as many problems for any browser as it might. Firefox, Shiira, Safari, Camino--they all do it--since it's one place for all plug-ins on Mac OS X.

If I go to the profile pages of almost any of the Filipinos, they have literally hundreds of videos, one in each comment and they all play at once. It's possible to turn the things off or to stop the behaviour through settings but apparently, anything goes and if they don't see it, it's not happening. :eek:

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
This happens to me too, it doesn't freeze or crash, but the video and audio won't play because they're designed for WMP 10.

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
It's not myspace so much folks as it is all the relatively novice computer users dumping all sort of odd code into their page. WMP is a problem simple because we dont have the latest version windows user have, the easiest thing to do is go to the security tab in safari preferences and un check enable plugins, since ive started that ive not had a single myspace crash.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
tangerineyum said:
It's not myspace so much folks as it is all the relatively novice computer users dumping all sort of odd code into their page. WMP is a problem simple because we dont have the latest version windows user have, the easiest thing to do is go to the security tab in safari preferences and un check enable plugins, since ive started that ive not had a single myspace crash.

That's a nice tip. Thanks! But does anyone know if MS ever plans on releasing WMP10?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I have never had a problem with Myspace in Safari. I have always had WMP installed, and I do get errors with WMP10 playlists. I'm also running on an TiBook 500, so if you are still having problems, I suggest installing WMP9, and resetting Safari.

TEG

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Daedalus256 said:
Are you sure your computer isn't saying "Could not load MySpace, Reason: It's for 13 year old losers."?

:)

I've had several pages lock up both safari and ie (I only tried ie to see if it would hose a standard browser as well!) on my ibook. It's those crappy "profile editors" that people use to customize their sites. Firefox on my PC works fine but I think the ibook's browsers are so shocked by the heinous html butchery that they just can't go on.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Daedalus256 said:
Are you sure your computer isn't saying "Could not load MySpace, Reason: It's for 13 year old losers."? ;)

I'm sorry, I can't stand that site.

woo someone else that hates MySpace, YAY!!!!!

i can't stand that place and too many people i know are on it.

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
This is why my sister doesn't like macs, because she can't get on her friends' myspace sites on my mac mini:rolleyes: .

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Daedalus256 said:
Are you sure your computer isn't saying "Could not load MySpace, Reason: It's for 13 year old losers."? ;)

Some of us are much older losers, thank you vefy much. :D

p0intblank said:
That's a nice tip. Thanks! But does anyone know if MS ever plans on releasing WMP10?

I'm sure they'll release WMP10 for Mac about the time WMP12 is ready for Windows. ;)

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Daedalus256 said:

Myspace is a very very powerful promotional tool for bands. My own band uses it, and I frequently use it to find new music to listen to.

There is more to myspace then 13 year old girls dressing up like sluts and demanding comments.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Easy fix.

99% of times it is WM9. To prevent the plugin from loading go '/Library/Internet Plugins' and trash or move
"Windows Media Plugin". I have created a folder called Disabled, I move it to there, and if I want it I move it back to the plugins directory.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
apunkrockmonk said:
Myspace is a very very powerful promotional tool for bands. My own band uses it, and I frequently use it to find new music to listen to.

There is more to myspace then 13 year old girls dressing up like sluts and demanding comments.

True. You're one of two I know on MacRumors who belongs to a band that promotes on MySpace.

It does get a little tiring with all of the people posting 8 bulletins at a time requesting comments or whoring their friends or themselves. Of course, that's only temporary since I delete them within a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.