Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I have an iBook (466mhz AirPort DVD FireWire SE) and a G3 MiniTower (333mhz 512mb RAM) and a NetGear Wireless router. Well there is a similar post in the forums but hear me out. If I make a NetBoot image (I know how :p) of a system and put it on my G3 MiniTower can I boot off that image from my iBook? I need to know since my iBook has a small 10gb Hard Drive and it would cost less to buy 10.2 Server then buy a new HD for my iBook and risk breaking it while opening it. Now I have an AirPort card in my iBook. Can my iBook communicate to the wireless router and then to the G3 on startup to access the NetBoot thing so my iBook would startup form it. Then all my files are on my G3 so I don't have to worry about HD space and risking breaking my iBook. I'm sure when 10.3 comes out 10.2 server will become cheaper. Any advice or tips? Please hlep me out, thanks a lot guys :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I don't know if netboot works over Airport, however, it means your iBook is only usable where you have a server to boot off of.

Do you just want to use the iBook at home?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.