Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinnabun814

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 2, 2018
I currently have a MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, Apple Watch, Apple TV, Airpods, etc and i've been flirting with the idea of getting an alienware laptop. I like the look of them. I'll turn on my xbox one x and play a round of halo 5 a couple times a month but i'm not much of a gamer. I'm debating keeping my mac or getting an alienware. I'm leaning toward keeping my mac.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Use whichever OS you prefer. It doesn't really matter. Although you'll lose some syncing ability if you are heavy into iCloud.

Is there something you expect to get out of the Alienware your current Mac won't do? If you don't game I'd be looking at a thinner, lighter laptop with better battery life. Along with a better screen and keyboard.

Reactions: kazmac and 0989382

cinnabun814

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 2, 2018
Use whichever OS you prefer. It doesn't really matter. Although you'll lose some syncing ability if you are heavy into iCloud.

Is there something you expect to get out of the Alienware your current Mac won't do? If you don't game I'd be looking at a thinner, lighter laptop with better battery life. Along with a better screen and keyboard.

Truth be told I love Mac OS and I am heavy into iCloud I just like the look of the alienwares. Vanity metric I know. I’m just going to keep my MacBook. All I do is browse the web, Spotify, and a little bit of learning python.

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
It's the loss of the Apple integration that'll haunt you most on Windows. The iCloud for Windows utility isn't a great experience and it doesn't play nicely with Windows. It's typical Apple 'glass of ice water in hell', and nothing more! Sadly.

I've tried it, and that was by far the biggest issue to me. I think a lot of Mac users are the same. Sounds like the MB you've got is perfect for your needs. I think we all get bored and consider Windows from time to time! lol

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Truth be told I love Mac OS and I am heavy into iCloud
Apple's integration certianly has its positives and makes life easier in many respects.

All I do is browse the web, Spotify, and a little bit of learning python.
There seems to be little reason to buy the PC then and just enjoy your Mac :)

I think we all get bored and consider Windows from time to time! lol
No I don't think that's the case. For me Windows was a better platform for what I need to do, and the Thinkpad was a better use my money, i.e., I got more computer for less money.

Reactions: kazmac

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Be aware that Apple and Microsoft have different schemes for cementing you into their cloudy ecosystems.
Look into them, and decide which is least annoying to you.
If you are not bonded to the business world, and thus forced to use its specialty software, give modern Linux a try. Their "software wants to be free" model has hurt them, but the GUI's and Apps these days are far from entirely sucky.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
MacOS and Bootcamp/Parallels Windows if you don’t game. Why choose when you can do both. I’ve operated this way almost a decade until I recently got back into PC gaming and Windows 10 being a much better OS than it’s predecessors.

Now I have Parallels running Windows 10 on my Mac, and VMWARE running MacOS Mojave on my Windows gaming PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.