Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Yeah, so I'm curious, and a tad confused. :/

The Tiger system requirements states : Built In Firewire.

Then it says under Supported Macs the slot loading iMacs.

Anyone runnning Tiger on their 350 iMac wanna fill me in? I got it running Panther currently.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Apple's system requirements are a bit over-simplified. Even some officially unsupported models will run with a hack, and some models with Firewire won't run it. The Firewire requirement is meant to be a decent judge of how recently the machine was made... Tiger itself doesn't require Firewire.

If the machine is listed as supported, it's supported.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
i've got Tiger on a slot-loading iMac, it works great, was much faster than Panther even. so go for it! the only problem I ran into was lack of a DVD drive, but I had an external DVD burner on another system so I just installed using that hooked up the firewire port on my iMac. good luck! :)

kammron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
Calgary Alberta
so after i get firmware 4.1.9.
then i could go about wiping the hard drive of everything os 9, and install a full version of tiger?
or do i still need the OS 9 on there to boot up?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Get to OS9.1 using the method in my linked article from Apple above. After that, I think you just start from the OSX disks and install over the top of OS9 but I could be wrong. I've never actually done it before. :eek:

Just get the right firmware on there first. :)

kammron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
Calgary Alberta
from what ive read, your right about the firmware...
you need the laters one in order to switch over to tiger.
i think i need OS 9 on there in order to run tiger.
the only thing i dont know is if this is all the same for installing panther.:eek:

kammron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
Calgary Alberta
yah.
i think everything i want to run, panther will satisfy,
so i will most likely just spend less and get it on ebay.
theres a few auctions carrying panther on cd, and a few carrying tiger on cd.

stoid

macrumors 601
I have Tiger installed on an old 450 Mhz G3 with only 128MB of RAM and it runs shockingly well. In fact, I would say that the OS is nearly as fast as my 1.25Ghz PowerBook with 1.5GB of RAM. Of course apps aren't nearly as fast, but the OS is very snappy!

ShaggyLR

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
Montreal
Another question, if I already have Jaguar running on an iMac DV SE 500mhz, does that mean I can instal Tiger without worrying about Firmware updates? Jaguar has been installed on it for about 2 years now and haven't been in OS9 since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.