Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
_/1.jpg

What is everyones take on the upcoming theme in leopard. Currently apple has about 4-5 themes mixed together with not a whole lot of rhyme or reason.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I assume everything will move to the unified theme (light and dark) what ever they are officially called. I can't wait, I like them a lot more than the panther style.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, I'm growing to really like Unified too (is that what it's called?). So long as they make everything similar, I don't really mind. I've got nothing against brushed metal, I actually really like it, but it looks horrible next to Unified. They don't match very well IMO. Apple needs to choose one or the other. Mixing themes is uncool.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Not a fan of the tiny Apple logo and the tiny Spotlight logo on the menu bar. And grey? Nah, give me a little colour.

It doesn't really strike me as all that nice - it looks more like one of those customised themes you see around. I think the Leopard theme will be much nicer. All I'm waiting on now from 10.4 is a point release that unifies the current themes.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Chundles said:
All I'm waiting on now from 10.4 is a point release that unifies the current themes.

Hopefully you're right but I would have thought they wouldn't do something like that until the next major release (leopard in this case).

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
mad jew said:
Hopefully you're right but I would have thought they wouldn't do something like that until the next major release (leopard in this case).

Yeah, you're probably right.

I still don't understand why they are using 3 or 4 themes when one, any one, would do just fine. It looks a bit amateurish in my opinion.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'm sorry but that picture you posted looks like Apple hired the Windows UI team.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Chundles said:
Yeah, you're probably right.

I still don't understand why they are using 3 or 4 themes when one, any one, would do just fine. It looks a bit amateurish in my opinion.

Agreed, is that the iTunes symbol in the dock? The one with the single black note? If so, I'd prefer the current symbol.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
actually i just switched the old itunes icon for this one, and haven't put it back, I agree, as much as I think the itunes icon needs to be updated, this one is not the answer. Also I am looking at the apeature application today and noticing the theme they are pushing through that is also unified, and not neccesarily in the pro app form. Curious.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
theyre nice people, and might appreciate someone talkin to them. Let me know if you meet anyone interesting.

iZach

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
West Bloomfield, MI
my cousin just finished his internship at apple. he wasnt allowed to really talk in detail about what he did there, but he said he was using leopard and so far it pretty much looks the same as tiger.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
broncoball said:
will leopard only be for intel or will power pcs be able to run it also?

If 10.5 comes out by the end of 2006 and the Intel switch won't be complete until the end of 2007, then 10.5 had better support both platforms! Hopefully Apple won't split the two systems and release 10.5 (Intel) and 10.5(PPC) in separate boxes.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
dylan said:
that's not real you can find that theme on macthemes.net it's called iT5.

Thanks for the name; I downloaded it a few hours ago. Its a nice change, one that I would favor in moderation for 10.5. The corners are a bit sharper than I'm used to (just like in iTunes5, I know). Safari and iPhoto look quite nice with the new skin. Finder and Calculator too. Very nice. I that changing the menu bar too much bothered me. Something subtle like this could come, hopefully before 10.5 (possibly in 10.4.5 as a surprise). Making the scroll bars less "Aqua" and more "metallic" (or at least more consistent with app at had like with the widgets) might be left for 10.5.

Besides these sorts of basic GUI tweaks that are already an option now, I'd expect some major changes to the desktop similar in scope to the addition of Expose or Dashboard. In a year Apple should have made some good strides with Core Image and Core Video, so maybe the desktop will be more fluid and interactive than it is now. Maybe something that can grow out of Front Row and its "total control of the desktop". I can imagine the ripple effect from the Dashboard spreading to other actions (mostly just to show off, which is fine by me so long as it doesn't affect the performance).

Lastly, since 10.5 will be released into a Mactel populated world, speed improvements are a must have item. With Windows and Mac OS X running on such similar hardware, the only way to rise above the fray is to blow away the competition. This means working closely with the major 3rd party software developers like Adobe (and Macromedia) to give there apps a little boost on Mac hardware. Considering that the whole Apple development world would just be starting to exploit Intel hardware, it would be great if Apple stepped in and helped. Going beyond just the major players, Apple should make some more major investments in Xcode and get Intel to do the same. So long as it doesn't affect stability, Apple should try to fast track the latest compilers from Intel into Xcode. Just because Apple is new to the Intel game shouldn't mean that their software runs slow. Matching Windows speed should be required. Beating it should be encouraged.

:D :D :D

Oh, and a bluetooth/WiFi remote should be available for iTunes, Front Row, and Keynote presentations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.