Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IDMah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Hi All.

Just noticed a folder is greyed out, ie. Can't read it.
But it access and looks fine on my other computers, Macs and PCs, and Nvidia Shield.
is there a way to check and fix just this directory? It's weird it's just on my MacBook Pro. OSx 10.15.7
and not on the other Macs or PC.

or flush the directory cache?

IDMah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Ok. Just did this on one of the other computers. But not sure why it happened in the first place. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to know.

I pretty much jumped right to step 3 and 4.
1. Right click on the "grayed out folder" and make an Alias of the folder that is "greyed out"
2. Click on the alias and you get right in.
3. Next move the files and folders out of the "Grayed out" folder into a "new folder". Command + drag the contents to the "new folder" (It may ask you for your password to make the move.
4. Trash the now empty "grayed out" folder and rename the "new folder" to the name the "grayed out" folder used to have... Fixed ?

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Did you keep the greyed out folder around? If so I would try and cd into it from Terminal to see if that gives an error message that might clue you into a reason

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.