Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saunders45

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
Ok, here’s where I’m stuck. We no longer have our server (Running OSX Server 10.4.3), which serves as the Open Directory Master and the PDC for our Windows boxes( all running XP SP2), running DHCP services. We instead installed a Linksys RV016 router about 6 days ago and changed the servers static LAN IP to ‘.253’ instead of ‘.254’. After toying with the settings, we got everything working correctly. Our Mac and Windows boxes both could log in to their respective accounts. However, starting today, every time I try to long on to a windows machine I get an error message saying”Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile…… Detail – The format of the specified network name is invalid.

The thing is, we have an almost identical setup at another office not 1 block away, the only difference being that there is no external router and the server on that network is also the DHCP server. I have been poking around and trying to make a few tweaks that last 2 days, but as far as I know, I haven’t made any changes that would affect the Windows services. Also, the User Profile Paths have stayed the same. I have also noticed that I am getting a weird message in the “Windows File Service Log” saying:

[2005/12/14 15:49:34, 0] pdb_ods.c:make_a_mod(2043)
make_a_mod: INVALID VALUE!!!
[2005/12/14 15:49:34, 0] /SourceCache/samba/samba-92.13/samba/source/rpc_server/srv_util.c:get_alias_user_groups(206)
get_alias_user_groups: gid of user marketpc doesn't exist. Check your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files

I figured that this has something to do with it, but I haven’t changed any of the group settings.

Please help me as I’m completely stumped and have no clue what to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.