Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rigelisonfire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Canada
I have been thinking about putting on my mac. I am a bcit student in Canada studying networking. I would like to able to remote access my computer from my work station at school. I saw that OSX server can do that among many other things that would be nice to have but could I still install boot camp too?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Would I be able to install and run my server to 4 other computers throughout my house from my MacBook? (I also have an Airport)

Just reread the system requirements and apparently it requires a desktop computer, so only the Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro and Xserve are compatible.

Mac OS X Server is overkill though for a home network and not worth the money. Just get a dirt cheap PC and install Linux or FreeBSD on it.

applehockey

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
Just reread the system requirements and apparently it requires a desktop computer, so only the Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro and Xserve are compatible.

Mac OS X Server is overkill though for a home network and not worth the money. Just get a dirt cheap PC and install Linux or FreeBSD on it.

Would Mac OS X Server not install on a MacBook or would is it just not recommended? Is there a way around this?

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama

There's a recipe for disaster, or, at the very least, a method for a novice spending countless hours tweaking an alien system to do something already built into a Mac. Linux and it's boast of simplicity for the uninitiated is a damned lie at least.

Don't need any of that stuff for what he wants to do. Look at his original question. Merely set the router to pass vnc to the mac.... at work type Menu>GO "vnc://IPADDRESSatHomeThere" and he has control.
It's the K.I.S.S. principal at it's finest.
"Studying Networking" can mean so many things, and I think that the two thoughts in the original post are not connected. "Controlling a Mac remotely" and "Network Studies" really have little in common.
HOWEVER, if it's Apple Server he's interested in, that's another story, and it runs fine on a machine the specs say it can run on and then some. And Mr. AppleHockey, OS X Leopard server is very, VERY cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.