Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starla76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
I have a Mac mini and have installed the Classic environment. Now, every time I restart my computer, I get this blinking globe (earth) icon. This continues for a good 3 minutes. Next I get the OS 9 smiley face blinking interchangably with a question mark. I assume this is asking me whether I want to be in the Classic environment.

What I don't understand is what the globe icon is for and why its taking my computer twice as long to restart - almost 7 minutes!

Thanks.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
My experience with OS9 Classic is limited, but I think Classic is trying to boot up from a network drive and is taking the time to search for the boot drive.

Next I get the OS 9 smiley face blinking interchangably with a question mark. I assume this is asking me whether I want to be in the Classic environment.
Hmmm... appears your OS9 boot folder is missing or corrupted? Go into classic preferences and choose the startup drive.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

jcburn

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2005
I've heard it's necessary to do a full install of 9.1 or 9.2 from the OS9 installation disks if you really need the classic environment. I believe the classic environment is lacking or incomplete in Tiger, and maybe even Panther. When I installed OS X on my machines, the 9.1 disks were included with the software. I read somewhere (mag or ezine or forum???) that with Tiger you really needed to do a full install of OS9.

I'm not running classic programs on my high end machines, but do have it on an old dual proc G4, so I've really "lost" my OS9 smarts.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It's trying to NetBoot if you're seeing a blinking globe.

Just go to the System Preferences and go to Startup Disk and reselect your start up disk and you'll never see this again. (as noted above by lacero and robbie)

jcburn said:
I read somewhere (mag or ezine or forum???) that with Tiger you really needed to do a full install of OS9.

I don't believe this is true, as none of the Macs that have been out in the last couple years can boot from an OS 9 CD, and therefore one canot use a "full install" OS9 CD to install OS9.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
jcburn said:
I've heard it's necessary to do a full install of 9.1 or 9.2 from the OS9 installation disks if you really need the classic environment. I believe the classic environment is lacking or incomplete in Tiger, and maybe even Panther.

You heard wrong, I'm afraid. You install Classic from a CD that comes with your computer, nothing to do with Panther or Tiger. (On the Power Mac, it's the "Additional Software and Apple Hardware Test" CD, but it varies from model to model.) It's best to do it this way, because then you get OS 9.2.2, which was specifically made to work better in the emulation environment of Classic. You'd be more likely to run into problems if you get a 9.1 or 9.2 installation from somewhere else.

--Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.