Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majonaise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Hey there everyone!

There's an old thread from 2009 right here about mixed LAN Party Games in PC + MAC settings. I was wondering if someone has an update or can help me with that?

I'd love to know specifically:
Which games are playable in a mixed setup of Windows 10/Windows 11 and newer Mac machines (M1/ARM-Macs)? Those new chips make it even harder to find ideas/solutions.

Are there windows emulators for current M1 Mac macines and do they actually work? Is that a way to play older windows games in a LAN setting? (Please do not link to browser based emulators/games)

I was unable to find any sort of practical and up-to-date list, well, except for that one post from 2009 on this forum and this list. Those are both hopelessly outdated. I would love to play some old school lan party games with my pals. Feels like there are none? o_O

So far we were only able to figure out:

• OpenRA (Red Alert FOSS Fan remake; runs native on MacOS + Windows) ← Try it: Personal Recommendation!
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (FreeToPlay via Steam; runs native) (Downside: Doesnt even feel close to CS 1.6 :-/)
  • tba
I know. Not too many. I'd love to add more to this list... any ideas, suggestions and/or workarounds?

Thank you guys for helping. :)

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Not sure if it is still the case, but I think WCIII was. Not sure if that has changed with reforged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.