Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2002
My friend has a PC and an imac and he needs no share an internet connection between them. I never had this problem since I use an Airport with all my macs, but I'm not sure how to do this with a PC. It doesnt matter for him if it's wireless or not. Any advice?
Oh yeah, he doesnt have to much money so I need cheap recommendations.

Dualburn001

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
DHCP server

I'm not sure how u go about setting up the PeeCee....but I do know it needs to be setup as a DHCP server.....

connect the Mac to a hub.....setup it's TCP settings to connect to a DHCP server and it will automatically have an IP assigned to it....works quite well I might add....

that's how our network is setup at work.....and also how my step-dad setup the home network....

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Your best bet will be to get a broadband router like the Linksys BEFSR41. It includes a DHCP/NAT/Firewall functionality just like you're used to with the Airport Base Station, except it's not wireless. Linksys is selling a lot of these, so there are bargains to be found. I'd expect to pay $70-100 for one now, I think.

There are cheaper solutions, but most of them will cause you some sort of unnecessary pain. Using the Windows box as a DHCP server means the Windows machine has to be up and running any time another machine on the network needs an IP address, for instance.

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
yeah, i suggest getting the router as well. we run three pc's and a mac at home and all our happy with DHCP set up.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
its not hard

I just set it up wilreless last night. 2 Macs, one PC. Get a router of somekind like the other guys said... just set up the router as a DHCP server and tell all the computers on the network to grab their IP's from the DHCP server. Configuring the router is simple...on most of them you just talk to the router via your browser and a default Local IP adress.

I have 2 Macs, One PC and a cable connetion.

YOu can do more advanced settings too if your looking for more than just internet access. Things like DMZ, Port forwarding, firewalll, etc.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I've got cable running through a D-link router to my PC and my Airport base station for my Tibook. I can also plug the Ti into a line directly from the router when I need to transfer files PC <--> Mac. Haven't figured out how to do it yet through WiFi. Anyone know?

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I've got cable running through a D-link router to my PC and my Airport base station for my Tibook. I can also plug the Ti into a line directly from the router when I need to transfer files PC <--> Mac. Haven't figured out how to do it yet through WiFi. Anyone know?

I'm just shooting in the dark here, but I'm betting you have your D-Link router (D-Link. Yecch.) issuing IP addresses in the 192.168.0.0/16 network (most routers default to this) and your AirPort Base Station configured in the default way, which issues addresses to AirPort clients in the 10.0.0.0/8 range. This means you have your AirPort clients firewalled off from the rest of your LAN. This isn't really what you want, considering your other router probably already performs that function.

The most straightforward way to deal with this is to disable your base station's DHCP/NAT functionality and turn on AirPort/Ethernet bridging. The configuration utility will issue you a vague warning about doing this, but it's okay. The end result is that your AirPort clients' IP addresses will be issued by the DHCP server in your D-Link router instead of by the base station. The base station will pass your traffic through, and your TiBook will be using the D-Link for routing, same as when it's wired in directly.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Gelfin
Thanks for the info...I'll give it a try.
Yeah I know D-link isn't the best name out there but I haven't had any problems with it. Is it slower than a Linksys?

sinbushar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Jersey
Re: its not hard

Originally posted by evildead
I just set it up wilreless last night. 2 Macs, one PC. Get a router of somekind like the other guys said... just set up the router as a DHCP server and tell all the computers on the network to grab their IP's from the DHCP server. Configuring the router is simple...on most of them you just talk to the router via your browser and a default Local IP adress.

I have 2 Macs, One PC and a cable connetion.

YOu can do more advanced settings too if your looking for more than just internet access. Things like DMZ, Port forwarding, firewalll, etc.

could u elaborate on the settings you need to put in place to share files between a pc and a mac?...i have an imac and a pc...both connected to a linksys router for our dsl...they are connected using DHCP...i'm assuming that u CAN share files between a pc and mac without extra software..can someone help me out?..:confused:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
sinbushar-
If you are running OS X, you can use SMB to connect to PC files. Just type in smb://your_PCs_name/your_share_name in the Finder's "Go to server" dialog box.

To access Mac files from my PC, I usually just use web sharing and put the files I want to move in my user's Site folder, and go from there.

Hope this helps!

sinbushar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Jersey
yah...i've got an original imac...old school 233 mhz g3...don't laugh..i'll upgrade soon...i promise....but there's no way in hell i'm gonna even dream that this computer would be able to handle os x.....*sigh*..i guess i'll just have to wait....i think i'll be going for whatever becomes available at MWNY....maybe if i use my black voodoo magic i'll get a G5:D
thanx anyways...if you kno how to do it on a ghetto mac..let me kno..

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
re: sinbushar

Unfortunaly I dont know of any way to do it with out 3 party Software. That is without doing what Rower_CPU suggested about websharing. I see your not running OS X so that makes it more commplicated. You sould use SSH if you were running OS X. You could just ftp files over back and forth... Another option is to use hotline. It's a free app and you can just set up the sever side on the mac or the PC and then the clients on both sides. You will need to use staic IP addresses for you computers do this. You will beable to share files that way. You could run a hotline server on each box and you could put and get files from ether computer. I have a linksys wiless router so I could help you configure it if you dont know how... mine's probably not that diffrent than yours.

if you were to use Hotline with static IP's then the outside world would not beable to get to your servers unless you turn on port forwarding. It would be a pretty good way of doing things whith out haveing to use the terminal or dos, to do things.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Gelfin
Thanks for the info...I'll give it a try.
Yeah I know D-link isn't the best name out there but I haven't had any problems with it. Is it slower than a Linksys?

It isn't so much that the D-Link is slower. I can't say one way or the other. The problems with D-Link are more an issue of product quality. My experience with D-Link products is that they are plagued by catastrophic hardware failures, poorly supported, and (where applicable) have really crappy drivers. In short D-Link has been no exception to the "you get what you pay for" rule. I consider them to be only just barely a step above "Reveal" or "Hi-Val" components for PCs.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Gelfin
It isn't so much that the D-Link is slower. I can't say one way or the other. The problems with D-Link are more an issue of product quality. My experience with D-Link products is that they are plagued by catastrophic hardware failures, poorly supported, and (where applicable) have really crappy drivers. In short D-Link has been no exception to the "you get what you pay for" rule. I consider them to be only just barely a step above "Reveal" or "Hi-Val" components for PCs.

All right, I'll keep my eyes peeled for potential problems. So far it's run perfectly for about 5 months.
As far as "you get what you pay for", it was about $100 for the 4 port router/switch. Not exactly cheap. It was the same price as anything else I saw at the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.