Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Classic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
A couple months ago, I was walking along, minding my own business, only to find a Mac Plus 1MB sitting ontop of a trash can in Downtown San Francisco.

Needless to say, I rescued the poor bastard.

Not only was the computer there, but also included in the package was the keyboard and mouse, complete with Telephone line jacks and all.

What was definately missing was an external hard drive.

I plugged the old timer in and much to my delight, it started up. However, lacking a hard drive and having no OS on old school 800KB discs, I'm having trouble making anything happen.

I found on Apple's site that the Mac Plus can support up to OS 7.5.5

Also, I've heard of people using an external Zip as a pseudo hard drive to run the OS and other apps.

I've even found this site hosted on a Mac Plus...

http://macplus.schoolvision.com/

Fortunately I have such a beast - the Zip Plus, complete with DB25 plug. What I don't have is a formatted ZipDisk with a compatable OS. Nor do I have any 800KB discs with the OS on them.

Any help out there? Suggestions, resources?

I'm determined not to turn this Classic into a Macquarium.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Zip's work

There is a way to get zips working.. I had the article here somewhere but I have lost it.

You should try searching the net for "Zip drive on Mac Plus"

Otherwise find a old friend that can give you a 800kb disk

There are places on the net where you can download images but you need another mac to make them up

DOnt worry there is hope

and save the guy from becoming another shameless macquairium

Cheers

Aj
Old Macintosh Collector (and rescuer)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.