Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcademan0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2021
Colorado
I'm having a new issue. I recently upgraded the RAM to 4MB but now occasionally if I leave the computer sitting for a minute and I move or click the mouse or at random points when I'm using the computer, the computer will freeze and give me an error message flashing repetitively on the screen with no specific error code. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't reconnect the logic board correctly or if the pins are dirty or something of that sort. This didn't happen when I had only 1MB of RAM installed though.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
It could be many things. Check the +5v and +12volt levels and then re-seat the logic board to analog board cable and re-check the voltages. If there is a difference, you may want to clean the contacts and check again.

Next would be to adjust the voltage if required.

The contacts on the RAM can be cleaned and a brush-out of the RAM sockets performed and the RAM re-fitted. Generally, unless there is an obstruction in the socket, these old memory sockets never seemed to require much attention UNLESS the clips that hold the RAM module are broken.

It's also possible that the RAM is faulty. Either a bad cell or (more likely) a cracked solder joint on a memory chip.

Intermittent faults have the ability to be the hardest to diagnose.

arcademan0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2021
Colorado
Upon further research, I discovered I bought the wrong type of SIMM ram. Apparently the type I got is called a Composite SIMM which mine had 3 DRAM chips. The type I need is a Non-Composite SIMM with 9 DRAM chips.

Reactions: MacTech68

Blue Quark

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Probabilistic
I've never seen a mac plus before, it looks really cool?
My very first computer was a Mac Plus. I absolutely loved that little computer. I got it for a birthday present the year I started high school. Ultimately, I bought a Kensington System Saver Mac power control center / external system fan, which really helped cool the system down a LOT. Steve's brilliant idea about not putting in a fan was total BS.

I had to get the internal floppy drive replaced, and I bought a third-party external floppy drive for it. And an ImageWriter II. And a couple different keyboards.

Yeah, I really loved that little sucker.

Ultimately, I replaced it with a Macintosh II, which I also really liked.

If I were to buy any of the classic Macs, it would be a fully tricked out Macintosh IIfx.

Reactions: Andeddu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.