Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Hi! I´m Jose i have an old mac plus from my father, it was working until a summer day, the computer screen started to shake the image and suddenly turn off, when i tried to reboot, nothing works, only a repetitive sound came out. I haven´t found any solutions because here in spain, this computer is extremely rare because the majority of people had amstrad
or sinclair computers. anyone knows how to fix it
Can you describe the sound or record it an post it somewhere ?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Could be a few things. Do you have experience with switch mode power supplies ?

Is there an ozone smell associated with it ?

How often is the click ? Or can you record it? (sorry to ask again, I'm trying to tell if it's the floppy drive ticking or if the PSU is shorted somewhere).

Ultimately, you have two options. A multimeter and a soldering iron will most likely be essential, and require special long-shaft torx opening tools.

Or, find somebody who does component level repair (soldering skills), and is familiar with undocumented switch mode power supplies. Try TV repair shops (if they exist). If not, then I'm happy to help, but via forum id somewhat limited.

On the rear label it should also denote it's mains voltage (ie 220 or 240V AC). If so it will require the international circuit part references, rather than the more common 110VAC Only version.

Jose5019

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018
Málaga, Spain
here is the video,

Also some photos
view
view
view
mac1.jpg
mac2.jpg
mac3.jpg

Last edited:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
One thing I think I can see (after fighting googledrive) is possibly a darkened Horizontal Output Transistor heatsink. It may have a purple/blue tinge to it.

Darkened Heatsink.jpg

If this is the case, you will need a new transistor and a new Flyback Transformer at a minimum.

Retro collector

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2021
Hi guys!
My English isn't very good, so please excuse me if i make any grammatical errors or typos. I need some help. I got a Mac Plus, and its electrolytic capacitors were changed on the analog board, the connection ports were resoldered/had new soldering. There were no problems with the soldering. So the problem is that when the mac heats up, the displayed pictures and other sorts of things stretch out of the screen. After i turn it off, and give it some time to cool down, the resolution turns back to normal, but as it gradually starts heating up, it goes right back to stretching out again. I couldn't find any solutions on The Dead mac Scrolls, so any help is appreciated. I put some tape on the screen to indicate displayed image's edge should be.
210158631_2816912578621131_8415944570116030765_n.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.