Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
Dawn of War III is a pretty fun game on Windows, and now the Mac version is available on Steam. The system requirements don't look too daunting, all things considered. It's on the Mac App Store, too, but buying on Steam will give you access to the Windows port, too, and if you already own it on Steam (as I do) the Mac port was automagically added to Steam on macOS. I'm downloading now. :D

• Processor: 2.0Ghz Intel Core i5
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: 1GB Nvidia 650, 2GB AMD Radeon 290M, Intel Iris Pro or better (see notes for more details)
  • Storage: 30 MB available space
  • Additional Notes: The game is supported on the following Macs:
    • * Most 21’5” iMacs released since Late 2013 (see 1)
    • * All 27” iMacs released since Late 2013 (see 2)
    • * All 13” Retina MacBook Pros released since 2016
    • * All 15” Retina MacBook Pros released since Mid 2012
    • * All Mac Pros released since Late 2013
    • (1) Check your CPU meets the minimum requirement
    • (2) Late 2012 models with Nvidia 675 or Nvidia 680 graphics are also supported.
    ——— The following Macs are capable of running the game but do not consistently meet the standards required for official support.
    • * All 21’5” iMacs released since Early 2013
    • * All 13” Retina MacBook Pros released since Mid 2012.
    ———

• Multiplayer is compatible between Mac and Linux versions only

Reactions: design-is

I.artin98

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2017
This game sucks on my 15" 512GB MacBook Pro 2016 base model. Everything should be kept low so it'll give me a 60fps. Otherwise it'll be crappy....

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
This game sucks on my 15" 512GB MacBook Pro 2016 base model. Everything should be kept low so it'll give me a 60fps. Otherwise it'll be crappy....
Disappointing for a Metal game, though I suppose it's mostly due to limited GPU power as the MacBooks aren't particularly stellar in that department.
In that case lowering the resolution may help more than lower the graphic settings.

Last edited:

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015

What gpu and resolution? How it perform under windows with the same machine?

marksatt

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Disappointing for a Metal game, though I suppose it's mostly due to limited GPU power as the MacBooks aren't particularly stellar in that department.
In that case lowering the resolution may help more than lower the graphic settings.

The Radeon Pro 450 is not especially fast - it is roughly equivalent to the 2015 BTO option (AMD M370X). Most modern i5 & i7 CPUs are pretty fast, but it is *all* too easy for a modern game engine to starve the GPU of work without a lot of thoughtful engineering. You'll know if that's the case because lowering the resolution won't help frame rates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.